Help with original gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did the Big River Brown Ale . Midwest did not supply me with what the original gravity should read. Is there any way you can tell from just the ingredients?

The original gravity I calculated was:

"1.054" (I suppose this is right. It's where there is the 1.0, then 10-90 then 1.10. I got "54" under the 1.0)

I got "13 1/2" under the "0-35" place.

And 7% on the percentage.

Some useful notes:

- I did the original gravity BEFORE I pitched the yeast (is this correct, or should I do it afterwards?

- Please note that the wort's temperature was not accurately measured. I bought the wrong thermometer, and it starts at 100, not 50. So I *ASSUMED* it was 75 degrees after 45 minutes. It may have been up to 80.

What do you guys think? Is this reading close and is it around the range it should be? What do you think the FG should read? Thanks for anyone who could help me on this. Any other useful tips on measuring gravity next time? Thanks!

Sounds like you did everything just right with the exception of measuring the temperature, but it's probably only a matter of a few points. Doublecheck what temperature you hydrometer is calibrated for...it could even be as low as 62F.

You read the correct scale, the other one is Plato and you can use it, as well, but most homebrewers refer to the scale you read.

The alcohol scale is a differential scale, so you'll have to take a reading at FG and subtract from your 7% to get the abv of the beer, or you can figure it out using the OG and FG readings and a formula.

FG will likely be in the 1.010-1.015 range, but I don't know anything about that recipe.

Back