Beer Bloopers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey Sowers

Reaction score
What are some of the drunken brewing screw-ups?....Our last one was drinking rum and beer and forgetting to add hops....yes, forgetting to add hops. Then, pushing the carboy stopper down into the carboy of wort....then, after making (I know,...in our state we thought this would work...) a stopper of duct taped aluminum foil for the air lock, the next morning waking up to an exploded foaming mess all over the closet floor, then having to pour the stuff out in the pouring rain, and to top it off,...the stopper is stuck inside the glass carboy...Did I mention the hangover?

Two batches done and no major bloopers yet. I emphasize the YET. Unless you count getting a little overambitious with the second batch and following the recipe that called for 3 lbs. of honey. After a week the reading was 1.006.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Soon I'll move the operation outside and open the door to a whole new set of potential mishaps.:D

I usually forget the Irish Moss. Not a huge problem now that I have learned about cold crashing. But I seldom get drunk, and never drunk while brewing. I got too much going on in my head to enjoy the drinking.

Tried to put a paint strainer bag filled with marbles and 3oz of hops into a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Spent 20 minutes trying to get it in and 30 minutes taking out the hop sludge and marbles with my fingers.

When I was collecting and washing my yeast, my container spilled all over my floor when I was pouring it into the bottle. **** sucked.

Also, I was cleaning out all of the spent grains from my mash tun and putting them into a garbage bag. I made the mistake of using a regular garbage bag and not a heavy duty one. I hauled the bag into my garage, went to go life it into the garbage bin, and it busted from the bottom. I loled and raged hard at the same time. It was an easy clean-up in a garage with shovels though.

Back