Fermentation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerIsHeavn

Reaction score
Brewed an all grain braggot yesterday...fermentation was very aggresive and it came out the top of the airlock. I know I could do a blow off hose, but I have a better bottle carboy and not a glass carboy. Thus the opening is too big for blow off hose. Any ideas on what I should do. Do I clean up the airlock now or wait until fermentation slows a little?

you'll just have to wait til morning. it'll probably be less aggressive by then, and then you can clean and re-sanitize the airlock real quick like.

1/2" ID vinyl tubing fits very nicely over the center tube of a 3 piece airlock (not the 1 piece S shaped bubbley looking ones). that's what i use (dab just a touch of keg lube on the tube or it can be a ***** to get off). but in the past when i've soiled an airlock, it's generally because i wasn't around/available during the 18-24 hours of high krausen, so by the time i get home it easy enough to clean it up and it won't blow again.

Back