I think Im going home to a overflowing fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to a yeast foam that was very close to the top of my one gallon jug. I have a feeling it's going to be all over the pan it's in by the time I get home.... Anything I can do to save it once this happens or isn't done for?

1. Mix up sanitizer
  2. Wipe down overflowed fermenter with said sanitizer
  3. clean out air lock with sanitizer
  4. refill & replace airlock
  5. finish fermentation as usual

Woke up this morning to a yeast foam that was very close to the top of my one gallon jug. I have a feeling it's going to be all over the pan it's in by the time I get home.... Anything I can do to save it once this happens or isn't done for?

Don't worry about it. You'll lose a bit of beer. No problem. If you want to save it, you could drink the slurry out of the pan itself but it might not taste very good. You can't put it back once its out. It's like a fart in that respect.

Yep, you lose some beer, nothing else. The rest will be fine.

Next time, ferment in a vessel that can hold what you are doing. Use a blowoff tube.

Hahahah @ the Fart reference.... With 1 gal batches I understand your concern. I did a couple one gal test batches and it was pretty cool.

Could the problem be that I pitched a whole packet of yeast In 1 gallon of beer?

you probably just have an active fermentation confined in too small of a space to hold the fermentation by-products. In the future, plug your fermentation jug with a bung and put a small diameter tube through the center and put the other end in some starsan (ie: make a blow off tube) This will allow the gas and krausen/foam to escape through the tube, and keep your beer where it is supposed to be - in the fermentor.

jongrill said:
Could the problem be that I pitched a whole packet of yeast In 1 gallon of beer?

Yes, probably. That combined with lack of headspace and no blowoff tube.

But like everyone has said, you should be fine.

The only hope at all is to use a larger primary. Yup, that's the only hope.

This is what I came home to... Is it salvageable?

image-3437349014.jpg

nice pic! That's pretty well contained for blwoing the air lock. Yes, its salvagable. Just remove the air lock, clean it, sanitize it and replace. It may happen again though. Look at my previous post or search "blow off tube" and rig one of those up to prevent it from happening again.

DocScott said:
nice pic! That's pretty well contained for blwoing the air lock. Yes, its salvagable. Just remove the air lock, clean it, sanitize it and replace. It may happen again though. Look at my previous post or search "blow off tube" and rig one of those up to prevent it from happening again.

Cleaning now! Thanks for the tips ill look up the post!

Next time,don't use a 5 gallon yeast packet in 1 gallon of wort. an 11,5g yeast packet devided by 5 is 2.3g for 1 gallon of wort.

All done! I had an extra airlock from another jug. I will NEVER pitch a whole pack ever again.

I'm really happy there is a beginners forum here where I won't get chastised for making a mistake!

image-3702068062.jpg

All cleaned up! It started bubbling right away! good sign!

My only concern is that it was most likely with a blown off airlock for about 10 hours...

image-270689030.jpg

Hmmmmmm.....yes, at least in part, especially if you're at the upper end of the temp range for that yeast, aerated well, or if you pitched something like a whole 11 gram pack of Nottingham into one gallon.:eek:

You can use a partial pack of dry and save the rest. Or, you can buy a smaller pack. Muntons (regular or gold) comes in a 6 gram.

The CO2 being churned out by that eruption probably kept the nasties out.

Everything will be fine, looks great. At this stage of the fermentation it's ok that the airlock was off. Can I have one of those bananas?

HopHeadGrady said:
Everything will be fine, looks great. At this stage of the fermentation it's ok that the airlock was off. Can I have one of those bananas?

Thanks for the motivation!

I mean... They aren't ripe yet....

If 1 gallon batches are going to be your volume of choice, you might think about a 2 gal bucket instead of the glass jug for primary fermentation. You could reserve the 1 gal jug for any batches you want/need to secondary (lagering, dry hopping, etc). You can buy a bucket and lid at home depot for about $6. All you would need to do is drill the lid for an air lock. Buckets aren't as "fun" as glass because you cant see all the activity going on, but they are very practical. In your case it would give you more head space, and make sure you ended up with all the beer you deserve for your hard work! Blow off tubes are sometimes needed, but only keeps the "wasted beer" contained. Best off if you used one, but never needed one (like a seatbelt).

501irishred said:
If 1 gallon batches are going to be your volume of choice, you might think about a 2 gal bucket instead of the glass jug for primary fermentation. You could reserve the 1 gal jug for any batches you want/need to secondary (lagering, dry hopping, etc). You can buy a bucket and lid at home depot for about $6. All you would need to do is drill the lid for an air lock. Buckets aren't as "fun" as glass because you cant see all the activity going on, but they are very practical. In your case it would give you more head space, and make sure you ended up with all the beer you deserve for your hard work! Blow off tubes are sometimes needed, but only keeps the "wasted beer" contained. Best off if you used one, but never needed one (like a seatbelt).

Well... I needed one....

image-739110055.jpg

Don't stress. I had a clogged blowoff tube last night and after I pulled it to clean it, I pushed the grommet thru the lid. I just covered it with a starsan soaked cloth over the hole and went to bed. This is what I had after work today

image-2053989293.jpg
Cleaned it all up and now I just have a bowl over the hole

^ This happened to me today also.
Complete butterfly effect. I opened this thread. My lid went boom.

BGBC said:
That looks like a 2 gal bucket in your pic. You could use that as your primary for the next batch and lessen the chance of overflow/loss of beer.

Yes it is and yes it will be! I have to get a kid for it.

Brewskii said:
Thank God you wrapped your entire kitchen in plastic before hand :D

Don't know why that was there to be honest. Someone must of been baking!

Back