Good Kit for New Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibuboats91

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined this forum because I have recently been thinking about getting into the hobby of brewing my own beer. We have a local brewery that sells kits and I have been looking online for them. I found some kits for $30 on amazon and other ones above $200. What would be a good kit for someone looking to get into the hobby? Thanks!

Here is the kit I can buy locally:
http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CBK1&variation=

Here is one I saw others talking about on another thread:
http://www.groupon.com/akron-canton...edium=afl&utm_campaign=3925582&utm_source=rvs

It's impossible to tell you what to buy. It depends on how much money you are willing to spend and how sophisticated you want to go.

Fair enough. I was reading that the Groupon one was a really good deal. What are your thoughts on that one? How would it compare to a mr beer? Or would you recommend something else around the $75 price range?

A good basic start up kit (minus the pot) runs about $65-70. But really if you have a chance get a basic kit and add to it. My starter was from midwest, but I added a wort chiller which cost almost as much as the starter kit $59, but was worth it. I also added a bottle washer for about $12 that pressure washes the inside of bottles. A auto siphon was a good purchase too $12. then are you going to cook on the stove or outside? $59 at home depot for a turkey fryer set up.

It just depends on what you want your process to be. I spent a little more money to make the process smoother for me.

Good luck.

This is exactly the same Groupon I bought and is how I got started with brewing. Its a good basic essentials kit as shown here: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html
plus a recipe kit, and $25 coupon towards your next kit (there are some right around that dollar mark). Personally speaking I think it would be worth it to go this route just for the addition of the recipe kit and the coupon for one down the road.

For further kit additions, recipe needs, etc. I'd suggest visiting your LHBS and get to know the owners / staff. Their knowledge and experience are indispensable and (if honest) will direct you to the appropriate and proper resources. Most important, have fun... :rockin:

Personally I would buy the most complete kit your budget will allow. The more kit you buy the less you will have to spend later. A good kit with an immersion chiller, Bottling gear and a basic recipe kit will be a great intro. It's kind of like a gateway drug though, once you get a good taste, you are going to want more and more. I have gone from Mr Beer to an all grain set up in about 3 months. I am disabled so I have to budget my equipment buys so it takes a little longer. Above all, do not get discouraged and remember this is a hobby, so have fun while you do it.
Bob

Thanks for the replies! If I were to go between the two I posted in my first post, which would be better? I know first one has the auto syphon on it but doesn't come with any of the ingredients for brewing. The groupon deal ends today so I'm going to try to decide soon.

I also got the Midwest Groupon kit and love it. I did add a carboy (not really necessary) and a wort chiller (necessary), but the ingredient kit and gift certificate really make it a great deal. I have since added a few odds and ends to the kit (all relatively inexpensive) to make some of the process a little easier, but you definitely can't go wrong with the Midwest kit.

I also got the Midwest Groupon kit and love it. I did add a carboy (not really necessary) and a wort chiller (necessary), but the ingredient kit and gift certificate really make it a great deal. I have since added a few odds and ends to the kit (all relatively inexpensive) to make some of the process a little easier, but you definitely can't go wrong with the Midwest kit.

Awesome! I'm thinking thats the route I'm going to take. I'm going to research more today and see if anyone else has input. What ingredient kit did you get?

My first "kit" had a bucket for a primary fermenter, a racking wand, a carboy, an airlock, drilled stopper, length of tubing, floating thermometer, and capper. I also had a copy of "The Joy of Home Brewing" and the advice from the friendly proprietor of the LHBS. I added a hydrometer and sample jar after the second batch.

malibuboats91 said:
Awesome! I'm thinking thats the route I'm going to take. I'm going to research more today and see if anyone else has input. What ingredient kit did you get?

I got the autumn amber kit--it turned out great. Also, highly recommend "How to Brew" by John Palmer--I read it before I did anything and it was a huge help.

I just got back from vacation and my brew kit was waiting for me. I was looking at everything and the lid doesn't fit on the fermenter tight. It just kind of sits on there. Is that going to be an issue? I was thinking about calling midwest supply about it.

I also read their pamphlet on carboys for the two step fermentation process. Would I be able to go to Walmart and buy one of those big jugs of water and use that? Or am I better off using just the bucket?

Hopefully you called about the lid... Ours is so tight I have a hard time pulling it off the bucket. It's supposed to be tight in order to keep air and nasties out. Couldn't tell you about the water bottles, though...

Thanks for the reply. I figured out that I wasnt pushing hard enough lol. It snaps on so tight now. I hope I can get it off

Yeah, you'll have to fight with it. You can buy a lid-removing wrench but you may find you won't need / want it in time. I am now using mainly carboys with blowoff tubes and containers in place of airlocks... Cool to watch the krausen and fermentation process. :)

Back