High temp pitch=slow ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I pitched my yeast before I should have, the temperature was much higher than usual. I've never done this before, I'm usually really patient, but I was rushed by SWMBO.
I cooled my wart by an open window for about a half hour and then I poured it in with 2 almost frozen gallons of bottled drinking water. There wasn't really any steam coming from the wort and so I moved it to a colder place in my apartment and then I pitched. I haven't seen any action and its been about 15 hours. In fact, I think it was still hot and it created a vaccuum, sucking some of the water from the airlock into the fermenter. I know that yeast dies at 140 F and I think my wort was below that so I'm thinking it might be ok.
My question is this, is the reason there is no action the fact that the wort was super hot and the yeast couldn't reproduce as easily in it? Or, is my yeast dead and I have to repitch in a couple days?
Also, worst case scenario, do you think that my wort is contaminated from all of the moving around I did?

i'm assuming you didn't make a starter, since you didn't mention a starter... in that case, just relax and give it some time... without knowing how hot your wort actually was, it'll be hard for anyone to speculate about the viability of your yeast in it... might not be a bad thing to get a starter going now, though, so if you're not seeing signs of fermentation by tomorrow night, you can pitch some live yeast...

yup.. relax.

Even if you make a nice, big starter and cool the wort to the perfect pitching temp, you might have to wait for a day or two for fermentation to start.

The quietness in your fermenter is probably just a sign that the yeast are stiill multiplying in number and have not gotten around to eating the sugar yet. As soon as the yeast count reaches the optimal level, they will start fermenting the wort.

-walker

Ya, thats what I figured, thanks guys. I always regret posting these types of questions because its usually out of panic and I just have to wait it out and relax. This will probably come as I brew more and more. I think this is a reminder that I really have to invest in a good thermometer (and a hydrometer eventually). I hydrated my yeast 15 minutes before pitching this time, that could have something to do with this.

Skewed Brewing: If you pitched "super hot" and didn't see any activity for 15 hours my guess is that you had better hope that you cooked your yeast to death and need to re-pitch. If the yeast is alive at high temps, the resulting off-flavors are likely to be a deal killer. I had a batch of pale using Nottingham that was pitched at the correct temp but a heat wave for a couple of days gave a ferment temp in the low 70's. The beer was pretty, but banana flavored. It was a good addition to my compost pile though.

I'd relax and see what happens in the next day or so. I pitched yeast at 70 degrees on a pumpkin brew last weekend. I used US-05 and my primary got a little warm -= about 75-77 for a day. US-05 says it works from 59-75. I then put my primary in a bucket of cooler water to chill it out some and it's been at 68 since day 2. Yesterday I took my gravity reading and sampled it and it tasted fine to me. Temp control is key, but US-05 is one of the most forgiving yeasts out there. I got lucky. I'm unsure about the temp range of the yeast you used. It might not be ideal beer, but it will be at least decent, I bet.

Back