Single stage or Blow-by ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I am about to brew a Raspberry Wheat Ale, and the recipe suggests using a "single stage or Blow-by method".

I am assuming that single stage is not racking to a secondary, but what is "Blow-by" ? Are they the same ? Am I correct about single stage ?

Blow-by is when the explosion in one of the cylinders of your engine gets past the rings, instead of staying contained in the cylinder. :D

Maybe the recipe meant to say blow-off, which is a good idea if you are using a Carboy for primary fermentation. A blow-off tube replaces the airlock, and you put the other end in a pot or bowl filled with clean water.

Wheat beers should not be racked to a clearing vessel, since they are supposed to be cloudy.

I think the intended wording is, "single stage fermentation with a blow off tube."

Wheat beers tend to be very active during initial fermentation, sometimes causing the krausen to clog an airlock. A blow off tube like Reno suggests is the solution.

Single stage fermentation means exactly what you think it does.

Back