Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recently made a switch from cartridge based multi-blade cheese grater shaver (Mach 3) over to an old school Badger, Bowl, and Blade.

First few shaves have been with a Merkur Futur adjustible, Merkur blade, and a Proraso green cake.

I must say, making the switch has made for the most comfortable shaves I have ever had with very little carnage and almost no razor burn in the days after. But my shaves haven't been very close so far. Especially around the neck.

This is, however, a great improvement in what I have settled for over the last decade or so. After trying multitudes of off the shelf multi-edge systems, and electric shavers I had finally settled for a beard trimmer being close enough. Irony is, I use a multi-edge to shave my head. I have yet to brave using a DE for that.

In an effort to improve my shave closeness I have also ordered a Merkur HD Long Handle and a Parker 60R Long Handle of which I should have in the next few days. And, I also have a few other blades to try to find the right combination. As for soaps/creams, I have only used Edge Gel, Proraso Green cake, and a CO Bigelow (Proraso) tube cream.

Post your combo, experiences, tips, disasters, questions, and time invested using a DE or SE blade system.

Gila, I'm not up on the terminology and haven't thought much about shaving, so excuse my neophyte-ness. For the past 30 years, I've used a shaving cup and bristle brush - is that what you are referring to? It works great, for me. I've just never understood the advantage of using an aerosol can of shaving cream.

I don't use a special blade, though. I take it that the cartridge shavers give you trouble. I've never tried a razor like the Merkur. Looks very 'old school'.

You probably already do this, but the simple things sometimes help. After showering, getting ready to shave, I fill the sink with very hot water and put in a wash cloth, which I then lay on my face for a minute or two before applying the shaving soap. Makes a remarkable difference.

I shave with a vintage (50s) Gillette Tech Fat Handle (Gold), prorasso cream, and a boar brush. I switched between an electric and a puck of Van der Haagen for the past 3 years and made the full time switch about 3 months ago.

Closeness will come with practice, and so will speed. Also, you face and beard are going to need some time to get used to the new routine.

Have you seen these series of videos?

If not I highly recommend watching all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably already do this, but the simple things sometimes help. After showering, getting ready to shave, I fill the sink with very hot water and put in a wash cloth, which I then lay on my face for a minute or two before applying the shaving soap. Makes a remarkable difference.

Yup. The brushes are often referred to as a "Badger" in the context that the hair is, in fact, Badger hair. Although, some are made from Boars hair and other sources.

The aerosol gel is a left over from my ME arsenal against burns, bumps, and cuts. It's a huge can and a very small amount makes a LOT of lather.

Yup. I have tried the hot towel treatment and all manner of lotions, conditioners, balms, salves, and voodoo. A tough beard and sensitive skin don't make a clean shaved lifestyle easy.

And then I came across a reference to Badger and Blade here in HBT. Read lots of threads and became more and more convinced it was worth a try based on the countless success stories from similar fellows. So, I bought in.

Only troubles I have had so far are;

- The Merkur Futur is phreakishly heavy compared to a Mach 3 system and it is difficult to un-learn applying pressure when shaving.

- Lather from the Proraso cake soap dries out way too fast for me. Not a huge problem as there is plenty to go around with multiple passes.

- I had a really hard time locating Witch Hazel tonic locally. Between this and a styptic pencil, I MUCH prefer the Witch Hazel as an after shave splash.

I have been having trouble getting a close shave on my neck to but think I am starting to figure it out. I am mainly using the CO bigelow tube. I have a few other soaps and creams but don't really like any of them too much. I have tried about 5 or 6 blades so far and far my favorite is the Green 7o'clock and the Shark Stainless.

I tried a Lord blade yesterday and last night and today have really bad razor burn on my neck.

Closeness will come with practice, and so will speed. Also, you face and beard are going to need some time to get used to the new routine.

Have you seen these series of videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU

If not I highly recommend watching all of them.

Yes. This I do realize. In the meantime, and after reading many more threads of fellows who also thought they'd start with a Futur, I have decided to give the HD a try. Touted as a beginners tool but also a very respected peice of equipment by many of the most seasoned DE shavers.

I have watched several of those videos. Good Idea for linking so that they may benifit others too.

Right now, I'm using brush, disposable dual blades, and homemade shaving soap. Those disposable things really are a piece of garbage, but, al in all, using my own soap has greatly improved my shaving experience.
As for a perfect scenario, up until about 20 years ago I used to shave with a straight razor. It takes some time to learn how to use it properly (and most mistakes are paid in blood), but, once you do, no other shaving method can compare. Too bad it was stolen from me...:(

I have been having trouble getting a close shave on my neck to but think I am starting to figure it out. I am mainly using the CO bigelow tube. I have a few other soaps and creams but don't really like any of them too much. I have tried about 5 or 6 blades so far and far my favorite is the Green 7o'clock and the Shark Stainless.

I tried a Lord blade yesterday and last night and today have really bad razor burn on my neck.

This is the one thing I have not varied yet. I have only used the Merkur blade that came with the Futur. I have wondered if maybe the blade is the issue as it is commonly regarded as the reference to all others but is also considered not very aggressive.

Shopping around now a days, I always look to see who is carrying what with regards to blades, soaps, and creams. And have picked up packs of Wilkinsons Sword, and Darby. Beyond that I have some Feather, and more Merkur blades.

I thought I had ordered a variety pack of blades that had not delivered yet but it appear I did not. I guess I just decided to give the Merkur a go until I have learned the new way of shaving. Now, I am thinking I should have ordered the variety pack and saved some shipping since I don't see much variety locally.

Shopping around now a days, I always look to see who is carrying what with regards to blades, soaps, and creams. And have picked up packs of Wilkinsons Sword, and Darby. Beyond that I have some Feather, and more Merkur blades.

I think I tried a Darby and it was ok. I might be confusing it with something else though.

I really should try and keep better track of what works and what doesn't.

Right now, I'm using brush, disposable dual blades, and homemade shaving soap. Those disposable things really are a piece of garbage, but, al in all, using my own soap has greatly improved my shaving experience.
As for a perfect scenario, up until about 20 years ago I used to shave with a straight razor. It takes some time to learn how to use it properly (and most mistakes are paid in blood), but, once you do, no other shaving method can compare. Too bad it was stolen from me...:(

Care to share your soap "recipe".

Aside from the cost of the tools ($70 for the Futur, $55 for the HD, $30 for the 60R) I am really loving the savings over the ME cartridge systems. Last time I bought refills it was a whopping $35+Tax for 10 cartridges. :eek: And that was at WalMart! One cartridge would get me two shaves, at best, of my face and head. No more!

I will keep using the Mach 3 for my head until I am more comfortable with the DE. But at $0.95 for a pack of 10 "Best Value" blades up to $8.00 for a pack of 10 Feather blades the savings is still pretty high.

I think I tried a Darby and it was ok. I might be confusing it with something else though.

I really should try and keep better track of what works and what doesn't.

Too soon to tell for me. Can't be sure if the lack of closeness is the fault of the blade or the user.

- I had a really hard time locating Witch Hazel tonic locally. Between this and a styptic pencil, I MUCH prefer the Witch Hazel as an after shave splash.

I also throw a splash of witch hazel on after shaving. It is available here at most of the chain drugs stores - I've bought it at Walgreens and Osco.

I also throw a splash of witch hazel on after shaving. It is available here at most of the chain drugs stores - I've bought it at Walgreens and Osco.

Yup.

I checked WalGreens, WalMart, a shave shop, Bath and Body, etc...

Finally found a Generic at Homeland in the First Aid section. 86% Witch Hazel extract, 14% Alcohol.

Was terrified the first time I used after a shave that it would be like splashing cologne on while the pores were still wide open.

Not even close. Barely even a tingle. Any nicks close up immediately and very little sign of razor burn in the following days (razor burn for me doesn't usually show up until after I have sweated).

Care to share your soap "recipe".

Sure. Here it is.

This is for a total oil weight of 140g, which will give you about 1/2 Lb of soap.

Coconut oil...18g
Castor oil.....70g
Lard............17g
Beef tallow...35g

Biodiesel glycerin (purified)...35g
Sodium lactate...................3.5g
Coconut milk.......................21g
Titanium dioxide..............1/4Tbs

Water....................21g
Lye (NaOH)............19g

You can sub the biodiesel glycerin for commercial glycerin, but it's important that you use it, as it provides most of the moisturizing, together with the castor oil. Let me know if you have made soap already, so, if you haven't I'll give you directions.

Sure. Here it is.

This is for a total oil weight of 140g, which will give you about 1/2 Lb of soap.

Coconut oil...18g
Castor oil.....70g
Lard............17g
Beef tallow...35g

Biodiesel glycerin (purified)...35g
Sodium lactate...................3.5g
Coconut milk.......................21g
Titanium dioxide..............1/4Tbs

Water....................21g
Lye (NaOH)............19g

You can sub the biodiesel glycerin for commercial glycerin, but it's important that you use it, as it provides most of the moisturizing, together with the castor oil. Let me know if you have made soap already, so, if you haven't I'll give you directions.

Have never made soap before. Does it require some sort of "cooking" or, is there a method to the mixing to get everything to blend properly?

I use a DE razor with cheap, bulk DE blades that came from somewhere in Eastern Europe via Amazon.com, with the cheapest canned shaving cream I can find. Shave my head and my face. Smooth, close, clean. No problem. Oh... I shave in the shower. No mirror, no cleanup.

I use a DE razor with cheap, bulk DE blades that came from somewhere in Eastern Europe via Amazon.com, with the cheapest canned shaving cream I can find. Shave my head and my face. Smooth, close, clean. No problem. Oh... I shave in the shower. No mirror, no cleanup.

I do this with my head. And will grab some of those cheaper blades next time I see them (You just never know).

Would love to be able to shave in the shower with no mirror.

Have never made soap before. Does it require some sort of "cooking" or, is there a method to the mixing to get everything to blend properly?

Yep. Here it goes.

You will need a small SS pot, a whisk, a mold (i just poured it into an old olive jar), and all the safety gear (rubber gloves, googles, etc) you feel comfortable wearing. Lye is nasty stuff.

Measure the water, and put it in the freezer for a while. You want a thin layer of ice forming in the surface.
Once it's cool enough, measure all the ingredients, label them clearly, and put them all on a surface you can work on, and you have a stove and a sink available (yeah, the kitchen is a good place, if you don't have kids. Make sure to keep the lye in a closed container, so it doesn't absorb moisture from the air.

Open the faucet a little, so you have running water available, should your skin come in contact with the lye water. If you have vinegar, keep it at hand for the same purpose.

Put the tallow and lard in the pot, and melt them, being careful not to overheat them. Add the rest of the oils, and the glycerin, and stir. If the mixture tends to go cloudy, heat a little more, but keep it as cool as possible.
Take the water off the freezer, and break the ice.
Mix the titanium dioxide with the milk.
Start pouring the lye SLOWLY on the water, while mixing with a SS spoon. Check the water temperature (just put your hand outside the jar) every now and then. If the water gets too hot, put it in the freezer for a few minutes, while keeping the lye closed.
Once you totally dissolved the lye in the water, start pouring it slowly into the oils, while stirring somewhat intensely, but make sure you don't splash lye water anywhere. While mixing, add the sodium lactate and the coconut milk, and start whisking. After a few minutes, you will see the liquid will get thicker, pretty much like apple sauce. Pour it into your mold, put it in a dry place, and forget about it for a month.

Enjoy! :)

I have a bottle of the co bigelow aftershave balm that I really like. I have tried 5 or so different things and it is my favorite so far. Works the best and smells the best out of all I have tried.

I haven't tried just straight witch hazel yet though. I have had trouble finding it.

I wish I could shave in the shower but with a goatee that makes it a little difficult.

Yep. Here it goes.

You will need a small SS pot, a whisk, a mold (i just poured it into an old olive jar), and all the safety gear (rubber gloves, googles, etc) you feel comfortable wearing. Lye is nasty stuff.

Measure the water, and put it in the freezer for a while. You want a thin layer of ice forming in the surface.
Once it's cool enough, measure all the ingredients, label them clearly, and put them all on a surface you can work on, and you have a stove and a sink available (yeah, the kitchen is a good place, if you don't have kids. Make sure to keep the lye in a closed container, so it doesn't absorb moisture from the air.

Open the faucet a little, so you have running water available, should your skin come in contact with the lye water. If you have vinegar, keep it at hand for the same purpose.

Put the tallow and lard in the pot, and melt them, being careful not to overheat them. Add the rest of the oils, and the glycerin, and stir. If the mixture tends to go cloudy, heat a little more, but keep it as cool as possible.
Take the water off the freezer, and break the ice.
Mix the titanium dioxide with the milk.
Start pouring the lye SLOWLY on the water, while mixing with a SS spoon. Check the water temperature (just put your hand outside the jar) every now and then. If the water gets too hot, put it in the freezer for a few minutes, while keeping the lye closed.
Once you totally dissolved the lye in the water, start pouring it slowly into the oils, while stirring somewhat intensely, but make sure you don't splash lye water anywhere. While mixing, add the sodium lactate and the coconut milk, and start whisking. After a few minutes, you will see the liquid will get thicker, pretty much like apple sauce. Pour it into your mold, put it in a dry place, and forget about it for a month.

Enjoy! :)

Why do I keep getting those cionematic flashes of "Fight Club" in my head as I read this? :p

I have been DE shaving for a few months now and absolutely love it, I have a 1930s era closed comb Gillette tech fatboy razor, and a 1930s era open comb Gillette razor, I have been using shark blades with great success.

As for soaps, I use half of an almond size dollop of CO Bigelow tube shave cream with the cheapie Van Der Hagen soap puck. I lather in a rice bowl I picked up at my local market. So far I have 3 brushes, one Van Der Hagen boar hair brush, one Ωmega boar hair brush and one Ωmega badger hair brush.

As for an aftershave splash, I use the T.N Dickenson's Witch Hazel with a few drops of Sandalwood essential oil to add some fragrance to it.

Most of my early issues stemmed from not getting the lather built up enough to provide adequate protection and with getting the pressure and blade angle correct.

Anyone have pics of their vintage or current model DE razors?
Here is my Gillette Tech fatboy.

new_pics_017.jpg

IAs for soaps, I use half of an almond size dollop of CO Bigelow tube shave cream with the cheapie Van Der Hagen soap puck.

That is actually exactly what I used yesterday and I hated it. I have mixed the CO Bigelow with some the "Real Shaving Company" cream and liked that. It helped to cut down on all the menthol in the CO.

I have a Ball End Tech razor. I really don't care for it too much because it is tiny so I have been looking for something else lately.

il_570xN.177237504.jpg

Have you guys checked out badgerandblade.com? Great forum, lots of useful information over there.

I have a 1969 Gilette Super adjustable. I told my Grandfather I was interested in "wet" shaving and he pulls out 2 adjustables and a 3 piece Fatboy. I had a feeling he would have one, so he told me to take all of them, I just took the Super Adjustable.

That Futur is like a lead weight isn't it?? my fatboy is pretty light in comparison.

God yes. Won't be so bad once I get a tactile memory of holding the razor at the right angle with no pressure. But for now, given how long it takes to get a decent shave without skinning myself, it makes my fingers hurt/tired before I have finished.

Have you guys checked out badgerandblade.com? Great forum, lots of useful information over there.

I have a 1969 Gilette Super adjustable. I told my Grandfather I was interested in "wet" shaving and he pulls out 2 adjustables and a 3 piece Fatboy. I had a feeling he would have one, so he told me to take all of them, I just took the Super Adjustable.

I'm azscoob over there too, tons of good info there for the shaving noob and vetran shaver.

Do you have a brick and mortar shop too or just online? I will be driving right past Janesville on my way up to Eagle River this August for a little R+R, and a few of Yoop's beers. I could swing by on my way home and pick up a few pounds of hops to take back with me.

Let me know, I always try to accommodated a fellow HBT'er. You driving from AZ?

I just signed up on B&B like a month ago, I've been reading up and learning. As my wife puts it "not another damn hobby!" I told her it's not a hobby it's shaving, she's not buying it.

i bought 3 old SE razors,2 of which i had professionally sharpened,i've been using it for a little over a week,i've had a few nicks but nothing to cause alarm,its easier on the shaving strokes than i imagined,the nicks came from carelessness moving the razor from one spot on my face to another!my speed is definitely increasing but the whole chin/mouth area takes me forever.
i rub an alum block around my face afterwards,that lets you know of any small nicks,after my second shave loud words were nearly expelled!

i rub an alum block around my face afterwards,that lets you know of any small nicks,after my second shave loud words were nearly expelled!

I had the same response the first time I used a styptic on something that wouldn't stop bleeding. I was expecting a little sting but what I got really caught me off gaurd.

So wait a minute.....

I am only 9 hours late to the party? You are telling me I could have saved myself a world of looking stupid if I just started my thread yesterday?

Here is mine -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LLU78Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Parker 82R Super Heavyweight. I think it was the bestseller on Amazon at my time of purchase.

I kind of regret not going with a slant bar. I understand the slantbar would have been a bear to learn on, but once I got it down, does a better job.

As for blades, I have not seen this mentioned yet, but it is really popular to get a sampler pack and find out what blade is best for you. They all look the same, but really are different. The Japanese feather blades are really popular, and I agree - they are freakishly sharp.

Another little shave geek think is the concept of Uberlather. It is a combination of a cream, a soap, and a few drops of glycerine. I started with Colonel Conk's soap only, but really liked the combination of all three products better.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same response the first time I used a styptic on something that wouldn't stop bleeding. I was expecting a little sting but what I got really caught me off gaurd.

I got the styptic, but still looked for the Witch Hazel with a lot of hope.

So wait a minute.....

I am only 9 hours late to the party? You are telling me I could have saved myself a world of looking stupid if I just started my thread yesterday?

I dunno nothing from nothing, but are you sure 9 hours would have been enough? :D

Latest posts

Back