steeping grains...bag ripped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyRed

Reaction score
Hello,
I am brewing LME with steeping grains and during the steeping process, the bag ripped. i went ahead and steeped them without the bag for 30 mins, but after that the grains just had to boil along with everything else . Is this a problem? Does it cause any flavor change?

Thx!

Ideally, you would have used a strainer or something to strain them out. Boiling the grains is a bad idea- you can extract some tannin flavors from the husks. I guess the only answer I have is "wait and see". It'll probably be fine, especially if there weren't a ton of grains.

I don't even bother with a steeping bag... I use two pots, one for the steeping grains and the other for the main boil. That way I can start heating the water on the main boil while the grains steep. When the grains are ready I strain them directly into the boil kettle.

But like Yooper said, you'll probably be fine. I've tried pretty hard to screw up my brew and still end up with a drinkable product.

I'd guess it would be fine. The first batch my husband and I made, we boiled the grains the ENTIRE time. (Guess we hadn't studied up very well beforehand!) Whoops! It was a nut brown -- turned out a little assertive for me, but everyone else who's had it has loved it!

If you can strain those grains out before heating it up to a boil, that would be better. You're going to extract tannins from the grain by boiling them that could lend an astringent flavor to your final beer. Although if you give it plenty of time, that flavor will dissipate somewhat.

Oh, a Weiss? That might be a little rough when you first drink it, but give it some time.

Latest posts

Back