Dayton 6K353 gearmotor w/motorbrake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steppenwolph

Reaction score
I just got this thing. Here's a link to the auction. My question is how to wire up the attached brake motor. The data plate is very straight forward regarding the motor itself, but says nothing about the motor brake. The data plate on the motor brake says nothing about the wiring. The motor brake is Dayton model 4Z447. It has 2 pairs of wires coming out of it, each pair twisted together at the ends, one pair is black, the other is yellow. I am tempted to guess that one of these pairs goes with the red/blue motor wires and the other pair goes with the yellow/black motor wires. The motor brake could be removed, but I would like to have it all together, if only for kicks. Anyone have any info on this?

Those part numbers are Gainger catalog numbers. You should be able to download instructions from their website.

Well, I couldn't locate it on the website, but if you call them they'll probably send you a copy.

Just curious...how will you implement this motor in the brewing process?

just curious, what mill will be using?

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned it in the original post. This will be used to drive a mill, and I really like the Monster Mill MM-3. It seems like an awesome mill, and not too bad of a price, either. I have some nice plywood lying around just begging to be built into a cabinate-type base for the mill and motor.
The motor brake isn't really necessary for operation, but it would be kind of cool to have it be functional. I did see the motor brake on the Grainger site but did not see a wiring diagram. I will get in contact with them and see if they can email me something. I am really looking forward to getting a grain mill up and running.

Well, after thinking about it, I realized that the motor brake uses an electromagnet to continuously keep a spring loaded braking mechanism from preventing the motor from turning. After realizing this, it seemed clear that the electromagnet would not really care which way it was wired up, so I just picked a pair and it worked.:ban: I am much relieved.
This motor is really a beast. The RPM's are a bit low, but the torque is there in plenty. The motor brake shuts down rotation instantly as soon as power is cut. I don't know how long it might take for such a motor to spin down on its own, but it can't be that much longer, really. But it is a fun novelty and a bona fide safety feature. Anyway, onward and upward to the next phase of the project.:D

I would tend to think it would stop abruptly with the load of grain in the mill but then you'd have to clean it out after. My biggest fear would be wearing out the bearings in the mill with so much power and no load to keep things tight.

I would tend to think it would stop abruptly with the load of grain in the mill but then you'd have to clean it out after. My biggest fear would be wearing out the bearings in the mill with so much power and no load to keep things tight.

Thats another benefit of the low rpm of this motor, it will keep the wear and tear to a minimum. I plan to install a large hopper bin so that I can 'set it and forget it,' having the mill crush grain while I am doing other tasks.

Well, after thinking about it, I realized that the motor brake uses an electromagnet to continuously keep a spring loaded braking mechanism from preventing the motor from turning. After realizing this, it seemed clear that the electromagnet would not really care which way it was wired up, so I just picked a pair and it worked.:ban: I am much relieved.
This motor is really a beast. The RPM's are a bit low, but the torque is there in plenty. The motor brake shuts down rotation instantly as soon as power is cut. I don't know how long it might take for such a motor to spin down on its own, but it can't be that much longer, really. But it is a fun novelty and a bona fide safety feature. Anyway, onward and upward to the next phase of the project.:D

I would love to hear more about this. I'm in the process of building a pit rotisserie using a Grainger 1LPN7 gear motor (with a brake). See link:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-AC-Gearmotor-1LPN7

I just wired the motor itself, but it won't spin once plugged in. I'm guessing the brake, which I have not wired, is engaged when it's not energized. Can you please tell me more about how you wired the brake? My brake has two blue wires. They don't look like the regular copper wires, they look like they're aluminum. I'm guessing this might be because it might use electromagnets like you referred to. Can you please tell me what kind of electromagnet you used? How you wired it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Back