Maltodextrin 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any one with experience with using Maltodextrin can fill me in on:

1. How you use it: Add to boil? Secondary? At Bottling?
2. What are general ratios/amounts for 5 gallon batches?

I've got a Stout in 2ndary that is a bit dry. I'd like to have the option at the time of bottling to add some sweetness back to the beer, but being a noob, I haven't had experience with this yet.

Since Maltodextrin is slightly fermentable, would that be a liability to add it at bottling (ie bottle bombs)?

Any experience you have with using Maltodextrin - please share..

I have not used maltodextrin in a long time but generally up to 8 oz for a five gallon batch. I think it is added toward the end of the boil.

However, im not sure if maltodextrin is what you are looking for. It helps to add body and mouthfeel to a beer. If its too dry maybe consider adding lactose. Its how milk stouts are made and will add a bit of sweetness to the brew

+1

Maltodextrin can add body without changing the flavor of the beer - it isn't very sweet.
Lactose, however, is an unfermentable milk sugar.

I use lactose for back-sweetening.

+1

Maltodextrin can add body without changing the flavor of the beer - it isn't very sweet.

That is great info. Maltodextrin = body, NOT so much sweetness.

So then, Lactose users, my same questions apply to the use of lactose. How much is typical for 5 gallons? boil in water? when to add? etc.

You can add the lactose to the bottling bucket when you are getting ready to bottle your stout.

My suggestion would be to disolve a few ounces (4 or so) in boiling water, cool, then add it to the bucket bit by bit (sampling as you go with a sanitized wine thief or turkey baster to a small tasting cup) until it's sweetened to your taste. Be careful to stir slowly when mixing it in to avoid introducing a lot of air.

Do the above before you add priming sugar, or you won't know where it's at.

When you know what quantity of lactose is good, next time you make the same stout recipe you can add that amount to the brewpot late in the boil to avoid all the bottling-time-fiddling.

+1

Maltodexrine is a sugar as well... just a starch based one.

Can you use lactose to sweeten beers other than stouts? Does this work for other styles?

You can use it however you like...there's nothing restricting lactose to any particular style...except maybe Milk Stouts ;)

Understood. It's not really very sweet though. The OP wants to sweeten a stout he has in secondary at the moment. Cheers! :mug:

Roger that! Just wanted to make sure the OP realized both were actually sugars since it wasn't clear.

I have used lactose once to back sweeten an english ale that had fermented too dry and the hops had overpowered it. It kind of worked, but did not make the beer "awesome"... heh

Can you use lactose to sweeten beers other than stouts? Does this work for other styles?

Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow is a Milk IPA. It is a double IPA and is a tad sweeter because of the added lactose, but it is still quite tasty, and a bit creamier (not sure if that is a brewing thing or if the lactose imparts that a little bit).

Back