Partial mash adjunct question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artguy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having done a few extract brews so far, I'm looking to do my first partial mash with something close to the 3-gallon stout recipe copied below, but I have a question about using adjunct grains in the mini-mash (flaked barley in this case). The article that I learned about partial mashing from (using the BIAB in 2-gallon cooler method) stated that in a mash of four pounds of grain, the amount of adjunct grain that could be used was limited to 13 oz. if using 2-row or 19 oz. if using 6-row, and that after that there would not be enough enzymatic activity to convert the adjuncts. These guidelines were given for a 5-gallon batch, so my question for those of you in the know:

Do I need to scale back the 13 oz. limit on adjuncts based on my smaller batch size (3.25 gallons of wort vs. 5 in the guidelines), or is it the size of the partial mash that matters? Ideally I would increase the amount of flaked barley to 12 oz or more (and cut back the 2-row), but I'm trying to figure out my upper limit with a partial mash.

Thanks for any advice, and here's the draft of the recipe for reference:

Stout partial mash 3 gallon yield
Style: 13A-Stout-Dry Stout

Wort Volume Before Boil: 4.25 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 3.25 US gals
Volume Transferred: 3.25 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 3.25 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 3.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.020 SG
Expected OG: 1.044 SG
Expected FG: 1.010 SG
Expected ABV: 4.5 %
Expected ABW: 3.6 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 34.6
Expected Color: 38.7 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 77.1 %
Mash Efficiency: 60.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 68 degF

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale (2-row) Malt 3.00 lb (54.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Flaked Barley 0.34 lb (6.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Roasted Barley 0.33 lb (6.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.33 lb (6.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.50 lb (27.3 %) Start Of Boil

Hops: UK Fuggle (4.5 % alpha) 1.25 oz Bagged Pellet Hops used All Of Boil

Yeast: Nottingham

My own guideline is as much 2-row as adjuncts. This has always worked for my partial mashes. You have 3 times as much 2-row as adjuncts. I'd say you are fine with that recipe.

Back