overcarbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isac777

Reaction score
Just was wondering if "my buddy" overcarbonated his beer in the keg what could he do to remedy this? I was thinking about taking it off of pressure and then blowing it off a couple of times..I mean he was. What do ya think?

Yeah take the pressure off. Just fill your glass with foam. Set it aside for a few minutes and it should be good to drink. No need to waster good beer.

An immediate remedy is to drop the pressure until the beer barely flows out.
You can drop the pressure further by holding the glass and tap up as high as you can get it. Hold the tap all the way open when you dispense.

That way you can still dispense highly carbonated beer and not have to wait a day or so. Works great I do it all the time because I like high carbonation levels.

Just release pressure. Just like taking a bottle off of a 2liter of soda. All the c02 will try to equalize.

A lot depends on how over carb'd it is and how much head space there is.

A freshly filled keg will need more than just a relief valve pulled a couple times. There simply isn't enough head room in a full keg to allow CO2 to come out of solution. Also, if the keg is chilled, that CO2 is going to be more reluctant than if the beer was warmer.

If it's full keg and you're getting hopelessly foamy pours, degassing the keg is what has worked form me:

1. Turn off the gas.
  2. Release the keg pressure.
  3. Remove the lid.
  4. Dip a sanitized stirring paddle into the beer and give it just one gentle stir...very slowly. The beer will foam slightly (hopefully slightly).
  5. Remove the paddle and lay the lid sideways on the keg for 30 minutes. If you feel more comfortable, lay a clean trowel over the keg to protect from anything getting in.
  6. Repeat several times and then reconnect and set everything at serving pressure and test.
  7. Repeat if necessary.
You're essentially flattening out your beer and starting over.

Here's a recent link talking about the same thing.

Thanks for all the advice. My buddy says it pours great now. If I wanted champagne I would move to france. Biermuncher-Appreciate the link, I also wanted to tell you I brewed your Cent. Blonde and it was great. Came out at around 4.5% Abv but friends drank quick. They all think just b/c its homebrew that its free and easy to drink. They don't understand the love... the passion.... the sweat that goes into every brew...damn them all..going to go drink a brew. Thanks again:)

Back