Greeting from SOCAL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrtl

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! Newbie here from Cerritos but I'm originally from the island of Guam. My buddies all homebrew and I finally gave in. I ordered a brewing kit from Northernbrewers today and I'm excited to get it so I can start brewing. I'm open to all suggestions and even looking for brewers near by to learn from.

Welcome to HBT and So CA... Brewing here is interesting to say the least because of the daily temps during our Summer (read March to October)!

Pasadena represent!

Welcome... Prepare to be hooked on a hobby.

It's hard to control fermentation temps when it's 90+F outside. Fortunately low humidity lets swamp coolers work fairly well. Especially if you supplement with frozen water bottles.

That, or build a temp controlled fermentation chamber :)

My brewther and I brew in the desert here in Phoenix with a chest freezer. Working on hard cider now. Refreshing

That, or build a temp controlled fermentation chamber :)

This is exactly what I am in the process of doing. 4'W x 4'H x 6'L, using a 5,000 BTU Air Conditioner and 1.5" foam board insulation. If I have my calculations right it should kick on for about 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day during the hottest part of the Summer. Since I only do ales & ciders and my girls make root beer, I only need it to maintain 62F to 68F temps.

Back