propogating hops from a leaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kshuler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A coworker is growing hops in her yard, and I was thinking about getting a cutting and trying to grow one myself. Can I just clip a leaf off, dip it in rooting hormone and then in soil? Will this method work for propogating, or do I have to actually get a piece of the root?

Klaus

"Will this method work"

Yes, but you're doing it the hard way. Even small cuttings from the rhizome will readily propagate a new plant - without any need for hormones. Cutting won't hurt the mother plant. I trim back mine almost every year.

Or, you could, spend $5 for a new rhizome that will give you a head start...

a single leaf would be tough, go with a rhizome cutting or grab one of the many sprouts off to the side of the crown.

If you have the owner take one of the runner shoots, lay it outwards from the root ball, and bury part of it in soil, in less than two weeks you'll be able to cut that runner off and it will have plenty of rootlets for a good start after transplanting...

Cheers!

"Can I cut a little bit of rhizome now"

Now is the perfect time (in the PNW).

Here are my suggestions:
- Dig gently around the rhizome a few inches. You will most likely find "runners" - horizontal roots that send up new bines. These can be clipped off and will readily grow a new plant.

- If it hasn't sent out any runners, you can clip off a small section of the rhizome. The best option is to get a piece that has a bud forming at the top and some roots at the bottom - but it's not necessary.

- If the owner is apprehensive, you can try what day_trippr recommended and bury a bine.

Just wondering what the difference is between a 'runner', 'horizontal root with bines' and a rhizome? Well, actually, you might as well include 'root' into the discussion.

Yeah my terminology needs some work. Let's see if we can clarify. Feel free to correct...

Rhizome: modified subterranean stem of a plant that is usually found underground, often sending out roots and bine shoots from its nodes.

Nodes: place on bine and rhizome where buds form for new stems.

Roots: extend downward from rhizome. Lack nodes to send up new bines.

Bines: upward facing stem that uses sharp hairs for climbing.

Runner or Stolon: stems which grow horizontal at the soil surface or just below ground. They will send out new roots and bines at the nodes. "runner" is the common name (think strawberries) for a "stolon".

Links:

Picture via Greatlakeshops: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/hop-plant-rhizome-formation-281912/

Picture 13.jpg

Back