Partial Mash Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauxtoe

Reaction score
I was reading the great walk through by DeathBrewer on how to do a partial mash brew with extracts and specialty grains from a kit. I get to about step 5/6 and am confused what to do next. I made my steps into a picture diagram because it helps me visualize better. Can someone advise me if it is right and what would I do next?

dJDkk.jpg

Yes add the spage water to the other mashed water then being to boil.Also, collect your drippings from the bag, i gently squeeze then let it drip tied around my cupboard into a bowl while the wort heats to a boil. I like to heat my sp arge water to at least 180,seems once the bag gets in it always still hits only 160 when i want a little higher temp. I guess i depends how long you take to let it drip before you sparge that effects your temp once its sparging. The longer it takes the cooler your bag of grains is getting. I try to only take a few minutes,squeezing with tongs then dunk into the sparge water and let sit.
I would mash your intial mash for an hour instead of 30 min though. I think its good to get ph papers and check it at the beginning of the mash,so you can adjust it if you need to with brewing salts.

So when I combine the two pots and end up with about 3 gallons of water (guessing), then I just raise the temperature and mix in my extract?

And then pour into fermenter that has 3 gallons of pre boiled and now cooled water to mix and aerate? Do I also want to strain this extract mix while pouring it in?

Thanks again for all the help!

Yes you can add the extract while its still cooler,its preferred it mixes better right after the mash,stir it good. You may want to strain your hops using a strainer when adding it to the fermenter,plus it helps aeratesyour wort some.Do you plan on shaking it or do you have another means of aerating your cooled wort?

Wait a second, i think your only steeping grains right. You are not using base malt? Just steeping grains? 30 min steeping grains is not a partial mash but if you have base grains this is a mash because you are converting starches from the base grains to sugar(what extract is). If you only have steeping grains(crystal malts,roasted malts and such),you are only basiclly getting flavor and color and not more fermentable wort.

Once the mash/extract is poured through a strainer funnel into the water in the fermenter I plan on giving it a thorough shaking. That sound right?

Back