Can I add Isinglass to the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a RyeIPA brewed with US-05 carbing in the keg. Its been dry hopped in a nylon bag. It spent around a month in primary, and fermentation was complete.
I've pulled several pints and while it tastes good, there is a lot of particulate suspended in the beer. Could these be little yeast colonies? I cant tell if its all through the beer, or its being picked up from the bottom of the keg.

Can I add Isinglass to clarify the kegged beer?

What kind of hops were you using? Pellet hops have a tendancy to break apart and stick around in the beer for a while. I try to use only leaf hops in the keg.

Also, how many pints have you pulled? It may be a little bit of trub or yeast that has been settling.

If you used pellet hops, you may have this issue for the entire keg... not a big issue as far as taste is concerned!

I've pulled about 3 pints.
It got dry hopped with pellet in a nylon bag. If this is hop suspended, is there a way to get it to drop out?

Cold crashing and time will help. Some people use unflavored gelatin as a clearing agent as well.

In the future, I would dry hop in the primary if you are going to use pellet hops. Even though they were in a bag, they still tend to turn to hop sludge and some of that can get into the beer.

It's just unflavored, colorless jello.

I haven't used Isinglass, but the Redal Brewer website says that you can use it at kegging time. The unflavored gelatin works the same way I would imagine. Both are going to drop out and be pulled through a few pints of beer.

Back