Temp control, how long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
I brewed an ipa 10 days ago, I plan to keep it in the primary for a few more weeks. I use a storage basket with water and ice to keep the tempdown, how long do I need to worry about keeping the temp down for?

I would keep it the same temp throughout the fermentation and conditioning period. What temp are you going for? I would think that with an IPA you would need to be around 68˚. Being that it is winter, I have the opposite problem. Keeping the temp up.

At minimum through the bulk of fermentation. Beyond that, warmer temps will help keep the yeast active to clean up house (like a d rest for a lager) but will not speed up flocculation or trub sedimentation.

This is not based on any research or objective information, only my personal findings. I usually ferment at the cooler side (about 65-68 for WLP001), then take the carboy out of temp control after bubbling stops. In the winter at my house, this is about 66-68 degrees. But in the summer, ambient temp is 76-78 degrees. I will keep the carboy at that temp for anywhere from 2 to 10 days, depending on how long fermentation took. Given that information, I have not tasted any of the off-flavors that are typical of a hot ferment.

Again, this is just anecdotal data.

Eric

Back