Beer line still usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yo1dog

Reaction score
So I I accidentally left beer sitting in my lines for a couple months (I thought I had drained everything until I bumped the tap handle and beer came out).

I took EVERYTHING apart and cleaned and bushed it with BLC and let it soak in BLC for 16 hours or so. Some of the parts are yellowed (beerstone?) and I am wondering if they are still OK to use and if they will taint my beer.

Note that these images were taking AFTER the cleaning mentioned above.

Shaft (probe?) of the coupler:
IMG_0515_zpse72f6313.jpg

Ball from inside the coupler:
IMG_0516_zpse21f0d5d.jpg

One way valve for the gas line to the coupler:
IMG_0518_zpsb462a60e.jpg

Beer lines:
IMG_0520_zpsc8ffd861.jpg

I actually ended up not using the really dark one on top but I did use the yellowed one.

Also note that it is only really dark near the very end and nowhere else in the line. I thought that was strange.

Only two months? Instead of running out and replacing everything, If you already have the BLC, run it into your lines and soak overnight. If it doesn't work then replace the lines, as has already been mentioned, they are cheap. Most of the time BLC can even very stubborn stone out.

I did take everything apart and did let it soak in BLC overnight. I wasn't sure how to soak the lines but I did run BLC through them for about 30 minutes.

The pictures are after I did all this. Did I clean wrong or miss a step?

I did take everything apart and did let it soak in BLC overnight. I wasn't sure how to soak the lines but I did run BLC through them for about 30 minutes.

The pictures are after I did all this. Did I clean wrong or miss a step?

I wouldn't say you missed a step:) What I usually do for my lines is fill and empty keg with "no rinse BLC" solution, and under gas run it into the line with the tap open then close the tap, then remove the keg of solution from the kegerator. I leave the solution in the lines usually for an hour, but you could leave it overnight for stubborn line. The next day just push it out with beer. Or If you dont have a dedicated cleaning keg, just submerge the lines in a bath of solution. Also for REALLY stubborn crap there is always PBW.

Back