Caramel/Crystal Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorHops

Reaction score
Can anyone with experience with this grain tell me what their impressions were or what I could expect? I'm thinking of steeping it at about 10% of the grain bill with some honey malt for an IPA. Thanks.:rockin:

10% would be a lot. Ever used Crystal 120L? Similar to that, with some toffee & rye pepper/spice. I think it's actually 90-100L.

If it were me, I'd start with 5% and see how it goes.

Is it really going to have the same sweetness as Crystal 120? I just want the rye to come out as much as possible, but not at the risk of being too sweet.

No, it finishes dryer than normal crystal. If you want more rye flavor, just toss in some rye malt. But that's just me, I try to use as little crystal as possible.

If you want to do 10%, by all means do it, don't let me discourage you. I'm sure it'll be awesome.

Finally got to use crystal rye properly. Flavour is coming out as gentle coffee with licorice and some bread. Somewhat dry and malty instead of sweet and malty.

Back