Damn, this hobby is CRAZY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBigDog

Reaction score
Started with the deluxe kit from Northern Brewer, and an American Wheat Extract kit.

Decided extract wasn't cool enough, and built a mash tun. Last Saturday was first brew day and did the American Wheat, which I plan to dry hop, and an AG Stone Clone. It was awesome!

I'm now totally hooked and I haven't even tried my own beer yet!

I have already purchased a freezer and all the components to build a keezer, 3 kegs, and all kinds of brewing equipment.

I've spent several hours a night for the last three weeks researching recipes, equipment, and styles.

$1200 dollars later, and I haven't even drank a sip of my brew!

Did this happen to any of you?

Welcome to the addiction! I returned to brewing on Super Bowl Sunday after a 12 year hiatus. In the last 2 1/2 months I've brewed 5 times. I would be more but my SECOND garage fridge is now full. Enjoy!

Next task is to assemble the keezer, and trust me I'm not much of a wood worker. Could be a disaster!

Started with the deluxe kit from Northern Brewer, and an American Wheat Extract kit.

Decided extract wasn't cool enough, and built a mash tun. Last Saturday was first brew day and did the American Wheat, which I plan to dry hop, and an AG Stone Clone. It was awesome!

I have already purchased a freezer and all the components to build a keezer, 3 kegs, and all kinds of brewing equipment.

I've spent several hours a night for the last three weeks researching recipes, equipment, and styles.

This happened to me, although maybe not to that degree. I bought a freezer, a bigger kettle, a refractometer, and a lot of smaller items that were above and beyond the basics, all before I tasted my first beer. The crack got me hooked man.

Yea, my first time stepping foot into my LHBS, I spent 575, which included the kit, 6.5 carboy, 5 gall carboy, 15 gall kettle, extract kit, bottle tree, etc... I then bought myself quite a few small things (gas burner, stuff to build a counter flow chiller, stuff to build an immersion chiller, camping cook station to put my kettle on, etc etc etc). I just bought myself a mash tun... My first brew isn't done yet and I am about $1000 into it, although I have tasted my first brew, but it's not quite done. I am right there with ya bro...

It can't completely suck. You made it. And, the best part of doing it yourself is you get to get better at it and see the progression of your beer. I am not sure if you are going to bottle at all, but I am now, just to be able to save them and taste them a few years from now.

LOL, I made two batches about 8 years ago and loved it. My new wife (then) was excited for me and bought me a whole basic setup. We then had a kid and life happened. 8 years later, another kid, and busy as all get out, I decided to start back up. I bought everything I need to have a two keg setup and brewed an IPA kit. I drank it while it was green (new) and now it is gone while I just started my second batch....I have another kit arriving this week and I just told her that I am taking Sunday to put the current batch into secondary and brew another batch. I plan on starting the batch after that in two weeks. Her comment was "Is this turning into a second job?" It is so addictive. I am worried that I won't be able to find enough time to brew that i am thinking about at least bottling a 12 pack of each batch just in case the keg runs out before I am ready for the next one.... LOVE IT!

yeah, it's pretty funny how it turned from "I want to make cheap beer to save money" to "I want to make really good beer and I don't care that I've spent a small fortune on equipment and various beer making gadgets". On top of it all, I haven't stopped buying beer - just not buying the cheap stuff that I can easily make on my own.

yeah, it's pretty funny how it turned from "I want to make cheap beer to save money" to "I want to make really good beer and I don't care that I've spent a small fortune on equipment and various beer making gadgets". On top of it all, I haven't stopped buying beer - just not buying the cheap stuff that I can easily make on my own.

Same here, I am hooked. Fortunately, My wife loves the beer we have been making so she doesn't mind the hobby.

I would like to get her washing bottles once so we can move on to kegging!!!;)

I am finding it to be more a way of life than just a hobby. Brewing is leading to other kinds of goofy fun... Pickles anyone ? Cured meat? Lol

No real pictures to post. I did buy a 7.2 freezer, and all the stuff that will become a keezer. Hope I don't screw that up.

I do have two carboys fermenting now. Crazy that I won't be able to drink is for like 4 more weeks! Good thing Stone just released in Missouri to tide me over.

This would happen to all of us if we could afford to spend that much :)

Make sure you have fermentation temperature under control. That will be more important than all grain or the keezer :mug:

Yep. started day 1 with all grain, by the time that was ready i kegged it and put it in the new keezer i had just finished building. 1 year later i have 10 cornies with 8 more on the way. 2 converted keggles and a third ready to cut and convert. this summer is building a jockey box, just bought 2 - 7 pass coldplates. Building a fermentation chamber this spring and maybe a single tier stand by the fall.

This would happen to all of us if we could afford to spend that much :)

Make sure you have fermentation temperature under control. That will be more important than all grain or the keezer :mug:

So far, so good. I'm lucky that the one unfinished room in my basement stays between 65-68 degrees year round. The yeast seem to love it in the two batches going now.

Yep. started day 1 with all grain, by the time that was ready i kegged it and put it in the new keezer i had just finished building. 1 year later i have 10 cornies with 8 more on the way. 2 converted keggles and a third ready to cut and convert. this summer is building a jockey box, just bought 2 - 7 pass coldplates. Building a fermentation chamber this spring and maybe a single tier stand by the fall.

Wow, 18 cornies? I'm not quite that crazy yet. Not sure I could drink that much!!

Welcome to the madness. I did something similar as well. I brewed 3 batches by the time the 1st one was ready to sample. I initially tried to justify the expenses as a "cost saving measure" for the SWMBO however after the 3rd fermenter and a cornie, that idea was out the window. I still think crack would be a cheaper hobby.....

beerloaf

Since I got my kit in December I've spent at least a few hours a day researching, brewing about once a month, and countless trips to home depot. I've bought and converted a side by side fridge to act as keezer and fermenter cooler. My wife told me the other day she got the kit so I'd stop buying so much beer. Guess that means I need to brew more!

I kept trying to do cocaine but it was interfering with home brew.

I started with the same NB Deluxe starter kit, and the American Wheat extract kit. I am staying extract/partial mash for now, and likely for the near future. Saving for a house and really don't want to spend too much on equipment when I could be buying extract kits ;) I did add Star-San, 5gal triple layer bottom stainless pot, bottling tree, stir stick to my "kit" and have about $300 wrapped up into it so far. I will be buying a camping/outdoor burner this weekend at cabelas to do my boils outside from now on. But I have a cabela's visa so I have $70 "free" to spend towards that.

I have a St. Paul Porter extract/specialty grain kit here ready for when I return from CT this weekend, I still need a wort chiller, but the ice bath method works OK for now.

I, too, see a fermentation chamber in my future, basement is fine from now till Oct (will just vary what I brew based on temp - Hefeweizens for summer when its warmer) but once we fire up the woodstove I will not be able to brew without a fermentation chamber. I want to find a nice 5 cubic foot freezer on craigslist and build the e-bay controller for it. Gotta work on cleaning up the basement though so I can find a place to put it!

It is definitely easy to spend money on this "hobby" but I have probably spent near $120 in the last 2 months on beer, so it will pay me back in a year or so :) I made the choice to no longer drink cheap beer, except when kayaking/camping. Even then, I will hunt out quality beer in cans ;)

I am finding it to be more a way of life than just a hobby. Brewing is leading to other kinds of goofy fun... Pickles anyone ? Cured meat? Lol

I just pickled some jalapeños! Add cheese making as well (even though i failed at that).:rockin:

I brewed 3 beers before itasted my first one.

My goal at this point is to always have 2 kegs tapped and 2 batches fermenting and waiting in line. So far its working out.

No real pictures to post. I did buy a 7.2 freezer, and all the stuff that will become a keezer. Hope I don't screw that up.

I do have two carboys fermenting now. Crazy that I won't be able to drink is for like 4 more weeks! Good thing Stone just released in Missouri to tide me over.

I'm in same exact situation as you (even live in KC). I'm waiting on my first stout to be done and I'm itching to get a 7.2 freezer and keg set up. I know SWMBO will freak out though. I got a IPA in the secondary for her and I'm hoping I can use that to convince her I need a upgrade....

Did you go to the Stone release at the Saucer? 14 anniversary, BELGO, Bourbon Barreled Porter, etc., etc.... :mug:

I started with a turkey burner and a 4 gallon pot doing extract batches with no fermentation control and topping off with tap water. After 3 extract batches I made the jump to all grain and built my first cart complete with a pump, chiller, and three keggles. Got myself a fermentation fridge and temperature controller. Shortly there after I got into kegging and stopped bottling my beers. I thought it was over..... and then I wanted to automate my system. Six months and lots of moola later I'm happier than a pig in ****. Started tweaking water profiles and taking pH readings several times throughout my brew days, getting more into the science behind beer and making my first couple of lagers. Sometimes on brew days I just sit down with a cold beer and admire my rig. I think about all the learning that came with the build and all the hardwork that I put into it (Aside from the welding of the cart). And, of course, I think about how I would do things differently the next time around. I think it's over.......... for now............

Damn i can identify with the feeling of this thread, I've been enjoying a good run of some very succesful beers and am really gettin fired up(pun intended) about going pro again. My little town doesnt have a brewpub and these people can knock down some beer.

Its good to see someone else catch the fever. The more homebrewers out there the better. I dream about the day when Anheuser Busch runs out of kegs because all the homebrewers have cut them up for keggles!

I like your style.

Assuming you KC guys aren't in a club and you want to look into one there will be a bunch of KC Bier Meisters members at the AHA Big Brew Day behind Bacchus and Barleycorn Saturday after next (see the B&B website or the KCBM website for the time). If you like us we have our Maifest party the next weekend. I believe you have to join the club to attend or go as someone's date. The club year starts in May so everyone pays that day.

I started with a turkey burner and a 4 gallon pot doing extract batches with no fermentation control and topping off with tap water. After 3 extract batches I made the jump to all grain and built my first cart complete with a pump, chiller, and three keggles. Got myself a fermentation fridge and temperature controller. Shortly there after I got into kegging and stopped bottling my beers. I thought it was over..... and then I wanted to automate my system. Six months and lots of moola later I'm happier than a pig in ****. Started tweaking water profiles and taking pH readings several times throughout my brew days, getting more into the science behind beer and making my first couple of lagers. Sometimes on brew days I just sit down with a cold beer and admire my rig. I think about all the learning that came with the build and all the hardwork that I put into it (Aside from the welding of the cart). And, of course, I think about how I would do things differently the next time around. I think it's over.......... for now............

I'm speechless, that is totally amazing!!!!

I'm in same exact situation as you (even live in KC). I'm waiting on my first stout to be done and I'm itching to get a 7.2 freezer and keg set up. I know SWMBO will freak out though. I got a IPA in the secondary for her and I'm hoping I can use that to convince her I need a upgrade....

Did you go to the Stone release at the Saucer? 14 anniversary, BELGO, Bourbon Barreled Porter, etc., etc.... :mug:

I wasn't able to make it, but am drinking a Ruination right now!

I like your style.

Assuming you KC guys aren't in a club and you want to look into one there will be a bunch of KC Bier Meisters members at the AHA Big Brew Day behind Bacchus and Barleycorn Saturday after next (see the B&B website or the KCBM website for the time). If you like us we have our Maifest party the next weekend. I believe you have to join the club to attend or go as someone's date. The club year starts in May so everyone pays that day.

I'm going to try to make that, but its my wedding anniversary... Cool thing is that she has already requested my next brew. She had a blueberry wheat last year and has been wanting another one ever since.

I'm totally jealous. I started brewing back in October. I've managed to brew up 2 batches minimum a month since I switched to All Grain. I just love the process, the tweaking you can always do as well as the limitless options you have. Which can be a problem for my beer ADD. I rent and live with the SWMBO, therefore have not gotten a kegerator. How she hasn't agreed with my "we won't have a ****-ton of bottles everywhere" argument I don't know.

Sooo glad Stone came to Missouri. Had it when I was in Dallas about a year ago, and I'm enjoying the Ruination now as I wait for my double IPA to catch up to my drinking.

I am just as obsessed, unfortunately much more poor. I keep thinking about all the stuff I want to buy, but I don't have the money. In a few month's I'll have the money for a few more things. The question is what? Probably gonna start with a kegging setup.

Good stuff. I have gone from simple extract to full all grain 10 gallon batches in about two years. Gotta move slow when the wife is watching the checkbook.

I drank nothing but bush light for 15 years, got a Mr. beer for christmas, brewed 2 beers and was addicted. Went from Mr. beer to all-grain and love it. I've spent just as much money but with the help of a brew partner. Haven't drank a bush light (and will never again) in 5 months. And the best part is, I've lost 20lbs, which I like to contribute to drinking good beer!!

Back