Q/ Water Report, Marion Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keebo

Reaction score
Here's the report, questions to follow:

Chloramines 1.74 - 2.47
Haloacetic Acids (HAA5) 14 - 33
Total Trihalomethanes (TThm) 11 - 63
Barium .015 - .015
Fluoride .78 - .78
Manganese 4.1 - 4.1
Nitrate (Nitrogen) .19 -.19
Sodium 16 - 16
Atrazine 0.65 - 0.65
Copper 1.3
Lead 0

When asked what I needed it for (concerned that I was putting in a water softener), I told him brewing, he wrote down 10 gram hard. (Although his hand writing looked like 10 gran, i assumed he meant gram.)

I know from reading the forums that a Camden tablet will take care of my Chloramines, it seems the only other reading I can use from this is the sodium and the hardness.

About the hardness. 10 grams seems to be a lot. What do you all think?

I’m using the Liquor Treatment Calculator from jimsbeerkit.co.uk and Palmers Mash RA Excel spreadsheet to do my calculations but I don't know how to express 10 grams hardness in them to get my calcium reading.

I’m looking to brew Pale Ales, Heffeweisen, Kolsch not the really darker beers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Anyone else using the same water source as me?

No, he meant 'grains'. As 1 grain corresponds to 17.9 (IIRC) ppm as CaCO3 your hardness is about 179 and while that is high whether you should be concerned about it or not depends on how it is distributed between calcium and magnesium and, most importantly, what your alkalinity is.

You should send a sample off to Ward labs. Only costs a few bucks and the results will tell you what you need to know as a brewer. Given the hardness number and you location the news probably won't be that encouraging but you have to know what you are dealing with in order to know how best to deal with it.

I just tested for Alk and Ph with my test strips for my hut tub, Alk looks to be around 80ppm and Ph is 8.0

I'd be suspicious of anything determined with test strips. They are only really good for WAGs. If you want to test yourself you can buy an alkalinity test kit from an aquarium supplier or you can get a proper test kit from Hach or LaMotte. A Ward Labs test is cheaper than either of those options and gives you a full set of brewing relevant data with a built in quality control check.

I looked on Ward Labs site, they have 3 different profiles:

Beer Test $36.00
Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Carbonate, Bicarbonate, Chloride, Iron, Sulfate, Nitrate, Electrical Conductivity, Est.Total Dissolved Solids, pH, Total Hardness (Lime), Total Alkalinity & Total Phosphorus

W-5 Household Complete Mineral Test $36.00
Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Carbonate, Bicarbonate, Chloride, Sulfate, Nitrate, Fluoride, Iron, Electrical Conductivity, Est. Total Dissolved Solids, pH, Total Hardness & Total Alkalinity

W-6 Household Mineral Test $26.00
Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Carbonate, Bicarbonate, Chloride, Sulfate, Nitrate, Electrical Conductivity, Est. Total Dissolved Solids, pH, Total Hardness (Lime) & Total Alkalinity

It seams that the difference between the Beer test and the W-6 Household mineral test is Iron and Phosphorus. Do I really need the Iron and Phosphorus readings? All the Calculators I've seen does not deal with these two, plus I save $10.00

If your water has no metallic taste then you are probably OK on iron. To test further you can thoroughly aerate a sample and then force it through a tube with some folded paper towel secured over the end. If there is no brown stain you have insignificant iron.

No, you don't need to know the phosphorous.

Back