Getting set for Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
Hello-
I decided to get into home brewing-yea!
So first I got a 7.2 Freezer-Kenmore $152.99 @ Kmart
I purchased a 6 gal. SS pt & Propane burner-
Going to LHBS to purchase kit to brew and other items.
First question here is this-
For now I want to start using the freezer as soon as it arrives- what temperature control do I want?
I want to eventual to add a collar and taps but I wanted to wait and see before I start modding the freezer.

I know there is a analog control that is simple to use but I like the idea of a digital one that displays temp. Is there one I can "plug in" and drop the censer in box?

Thanks
Brew On!

Hello-
I decided to get into home brewing-yea!
So first I got a 7.2 Freezer-Kenmore $152.99 @ Kmart
I purchased a 6 gal. SS pt & Propane burner-
Going to LHBS to purchase kit to brew and other items.
First question here is this-
For now I want to start using the freezer as soon as it arrives- what temperature control do I want?
I want to eventual to add a collar and taps but I wanted to wait and see before I start modding the freezer.

I know there is a analog control that is simple to use but I like the idea of a digital one that displays temp. Is there one I can "plug in" and drop the censer in box?

Thanks
Brew On!

Congratulations. The analog controller is definitely the easiest to use. But a lot of people, me included, have the STC-1000. You'll have to wire it, but it works quite well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMLCGF8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Now, about your pot: if you are going to start with an extract kit, you can probably use the 6gal pot. If memory serves me correctly, you can add water to the wort after you cook it to increase volume. But, if you are going to move to extract + grain and on to all grain, you need a bigger pot. Since you are spending the money to build a keezer, I'm sure you're going to be using 5gal corny kegs or similar. So you really need a bigger pot even for extract IMO, others will vary on that. A 10gal stainless pot is much more versatile. There are vendors here who have good prices on them complete with valve. You can also go to ebay and find one. When you are ready to start mashing, you can use a cooler like many people do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a link on hwo to build your own Temp sensor, and does your heat and cool ?

Congratulations. The analog controller is definitely the easiest to use. But a lot of people, me included, have the STC-1000. You'll have to wire it, but it works quite well.

Now, about your pot: if you are going to start with an extract kit, you can probably use the 6gal pot. If memory serves me correctly, you can add water to the wort after you cook it to increase volume. But, if you are going to move to extract + grain and on to all grain, you need a bigger pot. Since you are spending the money to build a keezer, I'm sure you're going to be using 5gal corny kegs or similar. So you really need a bigger pot even for extract IMO, others will vary on that. A 10gal stainless pot is much more versatile. There are vendors here who have good prices on them complete with valve. You can also go to ebay and find one. When you are ready to start mashing, you can use a cooler like many people do.

I got a 6 gal to start with- we will see where we go from there.

I think I build this-http://www.onemansbeer.com/keezer-build-diy-temperature-controller/

Thanks for the help

libirm,
It looks like someone already posted a link to building this and that looks like a good link. It is actually pretty easy to do and yes, it does both cold and hot. Definitely get an in-line fuse holder and 10amp fuse. If you have a Jan/Feb, 2012 copy of BYO, there is a great article about building this controller on page 65-67 with illustrations.

I known there is allot of post on the STC diagram but not want I want to di.

I want a cooler outlet and always on outlet.
I want to include a light to show its working along with a 10 fuse.

Any help much appreciated- going to out it together tomorrow.
Thanks

Back