Use 1 corny as primary and secondary and keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barside laundry

Reaction score
My cousin and I were thinking about ways to minimize handling and moving the beer. Why couldn't you ferment in the keg, put gas to it an tap off the sediment and dead yeast (because it taps from the bottom) then let it clear for 2 weeks and then carbonate and drink. Stainless, easier to clean, handles, no light, this sounds to good to be true. thoughts? :confused:

You would think it would be that easy. Like everything else, it does not always work the way you would like. I use my cornys for secondaries and thought removing the yeast would just be a matter of drawing a couple pints to suck up the yeast. No luck. Not until the keg was emptied that the yeast cake would finally pull through. I am sure factors such as type of yeast and how long you let the yeast cake sit has something to do with it.

Been using my cornys for secondarys for some time now. Even when using as a secondary, I transfer (after ditching first pour or so with sediments) into another keg with priming solution to either leave there or use it as a bottling bucket to fill bottles...I try to use kegs for everything and get much cleaner results transfering...make a jumper from keg to keg, etc. No siphoning or anything...even bottling is easy with pressure.

I've not used cornys for primary because I'm afraid of the batch blowing up with the lack of headspace and potential to loose lots of liquid. I tend to use 6 or 7 gallon glass with an airlock, no blow off tube (again, it hurts me to see all that foam turn to liquid and be wasted)...I use glass, particularly for the primary because I like to see what's happening. My two cents.

Basically, the trub cannot be removed through the tube. Even conical fermentors, which are specifically designed to allow removal of the trub via a pipe at the bottom, can clog or cake. I use cornies as secondaries and have had the tubes clog so badly I've had to use a hose to siphon the ale to another cornie, dismantle the keg and ream out the tube with a steel rod.

For primary, I'd be concerned about the lack of head space.

If you really want to, I've seen some folks cut their dip tubs so that they would be above the yeast cake when using their cornies for secondary fermenters. Not something I'd personally do, but it's an option.

Fairly cool website...I'll have to spend more time on it...seems it would be great for newbies to see actual demos but yep, thats how I transfer from corny to corny. Its really not as involved as it seems. Forgot if he mentioned but I also purge the recieving corny with CO2 to limit oxygen exposure. Just need a jumper...I go from out to out so the beer fills the receiving corny from the bottom...again, limits agitation.

Latest posts

Back