Can You Overfill a Corney?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2HomeBrew

Reaction score
I just finished kegging my first AG Batch, and it came out a little bt over my target volume. Somewhere along the lines of 5.5 gallons. There is not a lot of head room in the keg. Will I have any problems with force carbing this batch?

I fill mine to the very top on kegs with pull-vents in the lid. On my solid lid ones I fill to about 1/4" below the gas dip tube so I can purge gas if necessary without spraying beer out.

DO NOT FILL IT OVER THE GAS IN TUBE!!!!

You will regret it when it contaminates your gas line, makes the ball lock connector sticky, and can even ruin a regulator if you do not have a check valve in place.

Been there, done that. I have a setup I bring to picnics that can push 6 cornies, but now I vent every strange keg by a pint of beer before I connect the gas to my system. It keeps it clean (and I get the first pint :D)

Great! Thanks for the replies. It was not over the gas in tube, so I should be ok. I was just worried that with so little head room there might not be enough CO2 to get a good level of carbonation in the beer.

Cheers:mug:

Just remember that if you tip the keg (while moving it) and your tank pressure drops (moving to a lower pressure perhaps), you'll have the problem that Ed stated.

If it starts coming out of the big hole in the top while you are filling it.....it is too full:ban:

Sorry someone had to!:D

What those guys said.

Cheers

New2HomeBrew said:
Great! Thanks for the replies. It was not over the gas in tube, so I should be ok. I was just worried that with so little head room there might not be enough CO2 to get a good level of carbonation in the beer.

Cheers:mug:
If your keg is under pressure and filled below the gas-in, then head space doesnt matter. sounds like your good to go. The beer will take co2 better the cooler the temp. Good luck.

:)

EdWort said:
DO NOT FILL IT OVER THE GAS IN TUBE!!!!

You will regret it when it contaminates your gas line, makes the ball lock connector sticky, and can even ruin a regulator if you do not have a check valve in place.

Been there, done that. I have a setup I bring to picnics that can push 6 cornies, but now I vent every strange keg by a pint of beer before I connect the gas to my system. It keeps it clean (and I get the first pint :D)

LOL! yep, i've been there too.:(

wop31 said:
If it starts coming out of the big hole in the top while you are filling it.....it is too full:ban:

Sorry someone had to!:D

What those guys said.

Cheers

Thanks for the SAGE advise...LOL

Back