Honey setting at the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baker1234

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for all of my questions, but here is another one. I looked at my mead just a few minutes ago but some of the honey that I mixed in the water is starting to collect at the bottom what should I do?

Thanks,

Baker

Can you pick it up and shake it a little? I don't know what size you got it in, but if you have it in a bucket you could just stir it up a bit. I did watch a video where the guy making the mead just poured everything into a 5 gallon carboy and let it go so I guess if you just gave it some time it would sort its self out. Well good luck figuring this one out.
zbay

Alright thanks zbay. Ill keep you guys up to date on whats going on with it. I shook it a little and that seemed to help. I'm making a little 1 gallon trial batch.
Thanks again,
Baker

zbay is spot on.

The only difference, is that if there's any honey settled out at the bottom, you won't get an accurate gravity reading. So if its JAO, it doesn't matter so much, but other recipes its better mixing it to be able to manage the ferment appropriately.......

Shouldn't be an issue if you're happy with your gravities and just wanna let it ferment out.

Still, there's no harm in picking it up and swirling the heck out of it. S'why I prefer to make most of my casual brews with an S-type airlock, then you can fool with 'em and not worry about nasty water falling in :)

Hey guys sorry for all of my questions, but here is another one. I looked at my mead just a few minutes ago but some of the honey that I mixed in the water is starting to collect at the bottom what should I do?

Thanks,

Baker

How big is your fermenter and how old is your mead? did you just make it or has it been fremnting awhile? I'd guess its pretty new with honey settling instead of yeast and stuff forming a layer...if you were to aerate/degass it that could kick the honey back up into the solution for you so give it a good :ban: or swirl

Ya it's a very new mead barley a week old. So this is normal then? I think I'll just swirl it around like once every other day for a week think that will be a good idea?

being that new you should be safe giving it a good one, like really shake the bejesus out of it then do the swirl every other day for a week to continue the degassing

Alright cool cuz I want to get all the alcohol that I can get from this mead. And all of the flavor possible.

If its been going for a day or two use some sort of stirrer first, as that should remove excess CO2 first. And prevent a god almighty eruption......

The stir is done open.....

Same thing happened to me. Just leave it alone, the yeast WILL find the honey and ferment through.

Alright thanks guys. And ya the yeast seems to be eating the honey at the bottom.
Thanks again

Baker

Latest posts

Back