Over pressurised keg regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raudamduiker

Reaction score
Hi All

I bought a new regulator recently (dual gauge). I coupled it to the CO2 tank, flipped the gas out line switch to off, and turned the pressure adjustment knob all the way down.
Now, when I open the CO2 tank, the gas out line gauge goes through the roof and forces gas to escape from the regulator's release valve (sounding like an automatic weapon...).

Has anyone encountered this before? And if so, how was it fixed?

Thanks for your help!!!

The high pressure gauge should read the PSI of the incoming gas, or what is in the tank.
The low pressure gauge should read what you adjust it to.

Which gauge is reading crazy results? It sounds like a bad regulator. You should be able to open the gas and hold pressure where you set it. Make sure you're setting it to the very low end of the adjustment.

It's the low pressure gauge.
I get the distinct impression that the regulator is not converting the high pressure in, into low pressure out, even with the adjustment set all the way to "low". Any idea how this could occur?

It's the low pressure gauge.
I get the distinct impression that the regulator is not converting the high pressure in, into low pressure out, even with the adjustment set all the way to "low". Any idea how this could occur?

Stuck reg or you are screwing it the wrong way.

If it's turned all the way down it's at it's highest pressure , you need to back the screw out until there is no tention on the screw.

raudamduiker said:
The adjustment knob is already turned all the way down (counter clockwise), so that is definitely not the issue.

That's contradictory. If the screw is flush with the regulator you are the highest pressure available. If you are moving the adjustment screw counter clockwise, you should be releasing pressure. If that's the cause, the regulator is stuck.

Is it one of those regulators that require you to pull it out before it will let you adjust it?

phoenixs4r said:
That's contradictory. If the screw is flush with the regulator you are the highest pressure available. If you are moving the adjustment screw counter clockwise, you should be releasing pressure. If that's the cause, the regulator is stuck.

Down, meaning pressure is down. Maybe?

I am having a similar issue. Even with the knob on my second valve turned all the way counter-clockwise (closed) the second I hook it up to my CO2 tank the low pressure shoots all the way up to 50psi and the pressure relief valve starts hissing. Bad regulator?

I am having a similar issue. Even with the knob on my second valve turned all the way counter-clockwise (closed) the second I hook it up to my CO2 tank the low pressure shoots all the way up to 50psi and the pressure relief valve starts hissing. Bad regulator?

Have you tried it with the regulator turned all the way in the other direction? Not all regulators are built the same way, and some turn counterclockwise to open (increase pressure), while others (most) turn counterclockwise to close (decrease pressure). The thing to look at is the post position. To turn the pressure all the way down, the post you're turning should move out, away from the regulator. When you open the valve to increase the pressure, the post should be moving further into the regulator body.

Not to sound like an arse but did the reg come with instructions and are you following them correctly?

JuanMoore's advice is correct. Which ever way the screw turns it should come out from the surface of the reg to reduce pressure and move towards the surface of the reg to increase pressure.

If no matter which way you turn the screw to either extreme no difference in pressure results? - The reg is bad. (Don't forget to relieve the pressure in the lines between the different settings)

Inside the regulator is a diaphram, sort of like a rheostat, (Very loose analogy) If turned off the electrical resistance in said rheostat causes no electricy to flow. As it is turned up or down the resistance changes and more, or less, electricy flows.

A regulator is sort of the same. As the screw moves in (which ever direction CCW or CW) it pushes on a spring loaded diaphram (resistance) which has the soul purpose of maintaining a seal inside the regulator chambers and keeps CO2 from flowing among them until counter pressure (the screw moving in) is applied.

Once the screw moves in enough it overcomes the resistance and causes the diaphram (seal) to be comprimised and allow CO2 to flow into two chambers. One being the low pressure gage and the other (and same pressure) to be sent to your keg.

Once this desired pressure is set the regulator, screw, and spring loaded diaphram will work in conjuntion to maintain set pressure.

For the high pressure gage there is a bypass, detour, what ever you want to call it. That gage will get a reading unobstructed, straight form the CO2 tank.

Back