Sweet Stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodney

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing the Sweet Stout recipe in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO. The all-grain version of the recipe called for 8 pounds of UK pale ale malt, the extract version said to replace 7 pounds of the pale ale malt with .5 pounds of malt and some extract. So.....

I bought 1.5 pounds of UK pale ale malt, the rest of my ingredients and the March/April issue of BYO, where they basically say that it was a misprint and I only need .5 pounds of UK pale ale malt.

What effect is using an extra pound of this grain going to have on my recipe? Will it still work, or should I chalk this up as a loss and buy new grains? All of my grains are in one bag, so I can't just remeasure the amount.

i think it will have some affect, as far as sweetness, but not much (it's only 1 lb), i don't think you're going to notice an overwhelming difference, if anything, ur just going to help it. If you're looking to make it sweeter, try adding some lactose (it's non-fermentable sugar, so all it does is add sweetness)

rodney said:
I was planning on brewing the Sweet Stout recipe in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO. The all-grain version of the recipe called for 8 pounds of UK pale ale malt, the extract version said to replace 7 pounds of the pale ale malt with .5 pounds of malt and some extract. So.....

I bought 1.5 pounds of UK pale ale malt, the rest of my ingredients and the March/April issue of BYO, where they basically say that it was a misprint and I only need .5 pounds of UK pale ale malt.

What effect is using an extra pound of this grain going to have on my recipe? Will it still work, or should I chalk this up as a loss and buy new grains? All of my grains are in one bag, so I can't just remeasure the amount.

You are fine, if you did a side by side taste test of the 'right' recipe and the one with a 'mistake' you wouldn't be able to tell the difference

Yours will have slightly more alcohol

if you put that pound of lactose in it, it's going to be sweet. so i take it that you want it to be sweet. That's a lot of lactose. I suggest putting an entire pound of lactose in a much bigger beer like an imperial stout, something that can handle that much sweetness, but do what you want.

Not sure about the rest of the ingredients in the recipe and their impact on sweetness, but when I have made milk stouts, I add 1# lactose. I don't think the finished beer is too sweet.

Back