sterilising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taita15

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im new to the forum and home brewing, Could someone please tell me if i need to use a steriliser or is there a way to do it with just water.

Never heard of it? I always use Iodaphore that I get from the brew supply shop, or you can use bleach/water solution. But, if you use the bleach/water solution, be careful w/ stainless steel (like kegs, brew kettle, etc.) because it will eat it up. Just don't let that stuff sit over night.

I would be careful with a cleaner. Cleaner is not neccesarily the same as sanitizer. You must use a sanitizer, or sterilizer, to kill microorganisms, not just clean.

I use either sodium metabisulfite to clean all my equipment sometimes, sometimes I use just bleach and water, I use idophor to clean my caps and bottles though.

hoser said:
I use either sodium metabisulfite to clean all my equipment sometimes, sometimes I use just bleach and water, I use idophor to clean my caps and bottles though.
I always use bleach and water.......Dont get the scented stuff. I wash everything with including my bottles about 3 tablespoons per gal of water, then a good warm water rinse. Dont leve the bleach solution in plastic just wash it and rinse it, I clean my beer caps with vodka, then right before i cap, I have a spray bottle with vodka in it, I give them a good vodka spray, then I start caping....... A waist of Vodka......ya I guess, but its fairly cheap, I have not had any contamination problems, I have not had any (Bleach Beer either)

I use "brewers detergent" and hot water to clean all my gear just before use. It says "alkaline salts" on the box, but I think it is just a weak form of caustic soda (NaOH).

Then I use sodium metabisulphite as a steriliser, and let the gas do its job for about half an hour.

I've only had one infection in 20 brews and that was one of my earlier brews that I was probably stuffing around with during fermentation.

I use the chlorine/water approach because it is cheap and I havn't had any problems. I use alcohol/vodka for things like bottle caps etc. I haven't had to sanitize any stainless steel yet, but I would chlorine for that as well, as long as the dilutions are weak and the contact time is limited, say less than one hour. I would NOT use chlorine on aluminium as it will cause pitting/corrosion, especially if warm.

Regards

Christian

Latest posts

Back