Recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsrstka

Reaction score
Hello All!

I recently purchased about 4.5 pounds of Agave syrup with the intention of making something of a mead out of it. I don't really know a whole lot about it's taste once fermented however.

Have any of you guys ever tried just a straight up agave "mead"? Have you mixed it with honey in a mead? I'm just looking for any possible advise on a recipe. I will probably only make it a 1 or 2 gallon batch (possibly more if I'm going to mix it with honey for a mead).

I have heard that agave syrup has no real taste. True? What does it taste like once it has been fermented?

Thanks

Tequila

agave nectar is what tequila is made of. If you're into that, rock n roll. Not my thing personally :) Honestly, the alcohol content is the only point I ever saw in tequila, and you wouldn't be able to make it that strong without distilling. Hey, experimenting is good though!

mike

As far as taste goes it's it's sweet, sort of like honey in a way but more mellow, not as strong as honey.
SWMBO uses it in her coffee and she has flavored agave stick she has once in a while.

I've made a mead with half honey, half agave. If you have 4.5 lbs of Agave nector, you will need 4.5 lbs of mild tasting honey. Start a 3 gallon batch of mead using the honey, energizer/nutrient and only about 1.5 gallons of water, all in a 3 gallon fermentor. Once the initial fermentation is done, loosen the agave nectar with 2 quarts of very warm water, and add it to the carboy. You can give it a good stir if you want. Use a higher attenuating yeast. Mine tastes great.

Back