advice needed on cheap orange wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjones1975

Reaction score
hi i am making a few gallons of cheap wine just because im bored waiting on my lager to brew i have used 4ltrs of fresh orange juice, 2/3kg of dextrose high alcohole wine yeast also added neary 1 tea spoone of nutriants when it started to ferment. what i need advice on is that the juice had bits in it and the bits are all swirling about in the fermenter i have read in a few places that bits in the wine are not a gd idea will this still work ok. ? it is still fermenting and i am glad i tryed thing i never expected fermentation would cause so much movement and the bits make it more visable...

i am thinking it might not taste so great specialy due to the fact i added much more sugar than needed also i appoligize it was tropical juice but when i tasted the extra stuff when started making it it tasted just like orange juice i will let you know in a few weeks how it turns out. oh one more thing in the shop the cartons where in fridge next to the milk whats stopping my juice from going off?

its probably going to taste like garbage can with a hint of rocket fuel but who knows maybe itll be good

you might be right but its not like i used cheap ingrediants so fingers crossed and its all about learning more about the process of fermentation without wasting slightly more expensive ingrediants but i will update post in a few weeks to let you know how it goes...

wow less than a week and i had to stop brew after giving it a check it is mega strong rather than use fermentation stopper and campden tablets which im not to sure what im doing with i am bottling letting carbonate slightly pouring small amount out then freezing to kill yeast actualy taste ok just a strong alcohole taste maybe over done it on the sugar but what the hell going to have fun drinking this rocket fuel

i searched for a recent orange wine thread.

had some commercial orange wine from korea. it was 13% alc and overall quite drinkable, i remember a minty/toothpaste taste with a fair bit of orange. i'd personally never brew it, but if you do, give it some care and see if you can make something tasty.

Back