Fermenting temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainGoatBrewing

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I brewed a Saison about 3 weeks ago, and as some suggested, I was able to elevate the temps to about 88º for the last two, and as a result the brew finished (1.037, was estimated to be 1.040).

I'm just curious, now that it's done, I was going to wait a couple of days before bottling...should I take it back down to where it's more like 75º for those 2-3 days?

thanks.

The beer finished at 1.037? I think you have something going on there. Should be in 1.010 range.

You can leave it in the high 80's until packaging at this point, but I agree with mux... What was your OG? It must be a huge beer to finish that high. Most Saisons finish with a very low FG and very dry...

Ok, I totally had reversed the numbers from the beer calculus projections...I thought it said projected FG was 1.040, when it was in fact 1.014. Wow - glaring error on my part there. :eek:

The OG was 1.063. I'm seeing now on Wyeast's site that the projected FG is indeed btw 1.010 and 1.014. Guess we're not quite there yet based on those numbers....

Thanks for the heads up - it made me go back and look at my notes more carefully!

Wow if your fg is in fact at 1.037 after 3 weeks and two of them where at 88deg I'm sorry to say but you have issues. Beer would have been done a long time ago.

You could be finished at 1.014, especially fermenting at those temperatures. Just make sure to take a hydrometer reading a couple days apart, and if it stays the same, you're good to go.

Some saison yeasts tend to stall out. I've heard some people say it took 4-6 weeks for their saison to ferment out...

The guy at my lhbs said it can even take up to 8 weeks. If it doesn't move any further, though, I think I'm going to pitch some American Ale...

Saison should be as dry as you can get it. I would make sure it isn't still dropping by checking again in a few days. If it isn't dropping you can rouse the yeast up in the fermenter a little and that usually helps.

Back