Vector check on 1st cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppersailor

Reaction score
I just finished my first attempt at making cider after carefully reviewing the threads posted by other, particularly the threads by other noobs like myself. I believe that I did everything correctly, and hopefully will have some tasty cider in the coming months. However, now that the job is done I find myself reflecting on the process and am wondering if there was something that I should have done differently. With that in mind I submit for anyone's review the following information:
-I used 5 gal. of un-pasteurized, unsweetened cider.
-1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme per gal of cider.
-5 tbsp. of yeast nutrient.
-Cider yeast activator from lhbs.
-Cider fermented for approx. 2 months before bottleling. SG of .998-1.000.
-While fermenting, cider sat in the dark, approx. temp. 64 degrees.
-Carbonated with Coopers Carbonation Drops (1 per/12 oz bottle). I've never used the drops before (they remind me of the candy Lemonheads), but guy at the lbhs recommended I try them.
-After bottling, placed back down in the dark, 64 degree basement (in the shower in case there are any bottle bombs).
-While bottling, I noticed that it still smelled like apple cider, but was hesitant to sample any. For some reason, my mom's voice popped in my head; something about how you can get sick from drinking apple juice/cider that has been sitting about.

What say you, old wise makers of cider? Did the noob get it right? thanks in advance.
Mike

It sounds wonderful! No added sweeteners to be a filler. You let it sit a good amount of time before bottling. It is dry. Good conditions. Never used Carbonation Drops, but you will probably be fine due to the dry cider. I bet in another couple of months, it will be really really good.

You got everything right except for the tasting part. I always taste. I taste and taste some more. Then I taste. :p I find it important to taste at different times so that you know what it should taste like. That way the next time you make a cider you will know if something has gone wrong. It also allows you to make changes before committing to a bottle.

Sounds like everything went well. Coopers are around 4x the price of a bag of dextrose. Is there a reason why you chose them instead?

You got everything right except for the tasting part. I always taste. I taste and taste some more. Then I taste. :p I find it important to taste at different times so that you know what it should taste like. That way the next time you make a cider you will know if something has gone wrong. It also allows you to make changes before committing to a bottle.

Sounds like everything went well. Coopers are around 4x the price of a bag of dextrose. Is there a reason why you chose them instead?

I went with Coopers just to try them out. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have experimented with them on my first cider. I think it would have een better to use them on something I'm familiar with so I could judge it they affected the taste at all. Thanks for the encouragement and advice. :rockin: For some reason, I was really nervous about doing a cider and I'm not sure why.

Your confidence will jump by a million percent after your first cider. Try keeping some still cider for sampling if it's not too late. I didn't think I'd like still dry cider but I was wrong. It's pure awesome. But then again so is carbonated cider.

Back