number of rhizomes per crown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmhouse

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am sure this question has been answered on here somewhere, but I have to ask it again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how many rhizomes to plant for each crown? This would be for a small commercial 1 acre farm.

Thanks for any help.

It depends on how much of a chance you want to take factoring in a failure rate. On our test plot, of 120 hills we planted one per hill and they all made it. Others have planted 2 on up to 6 for major commercial farms. Our two acre expansion, we are going with live plants so we know that are alive an active. I can sleep better knowing that they are going in the ground healthy. I just have to keep them that way.

Good luck and be ready to work your butt off!

1 per hill.

Think of it this way, you are going to be paying $2 to $4 per rhizome. 1 acre can hold 1000 to 1200 rhizomes in most planting configurations. So lets say that 1 per "hill" is now $3300. If you go 2, $6,600. 6 and you are paying $19,800. The guys planting 6 to 8 per hill are planting stuff they have pulled out of their own fields and are paying about $0.50 or less per rhizome to harvest.

On a good batch of rhizomes, we easily get 80% popping out of the ground. so if you double up on the rhizomes, you'll probably get 100% of your hills popping up but you just wasted $2640 planting an extra rhizome in a hill that didn't need it.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen batches of crap that only has 10% popping up. If you double up, at best you get 20% which is still a dismal failure.

To be honest, I haven't seen much in the middle so unless you screw something up, either there is little protection for doubling up or little reward as you are doomed anyway.

Back