Simple Chiller Insulation Material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abandonhope16

Reaction score
Was thinking of making a fermentation chiller that would basically be connected to a keezer. I'm looking to have it hold a single bucket/carboy. Which got me wondering if a big cooler (around 120quart) would provide better insulation then the 2in pink insulation sheets? Any ideas if a cooler would be more efficient? Thanks

I am not sure which would be more efficient, but I would imagine that the cooler would be more expensive than the 2 inch foam insulation. You could probably do a double layer of pink foam insulation for the cost of the cooler. If that would be the case, then I would guess that the pink insulation would be more efficient.
I don't have anything to back this up, but these are my thoughts.
I hope that you find this useful.
Mark

Yeah, thats a factor and the coolers run $50-60. It's more of ease of build and cleaner look of a cooler. But probably not worth it if it's less efficient. A sheet of the foam probably runs $20, then I'd probably line it with corrugated plastic or something. So I assume cost savings would be about $20. Granted, if I use the foam, I could make it to fit two buckets.

Back