Denver (and surrounding areas): Beer/food/etc. suggestions needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I'm coming out for the Great American Beer Fest and I'm looking for other ideas of stuff to do, great food, cool places, etc.

If anyone is in the area or knows good spots, please let me know!

Thanks!

Freshcraft -- Fresh Food, Craft Beer
Euclid Hall -- great food and beer again
Dry Dock -- A little bit of a haul out to Aurora, but they make many many award winning beers and you can check out The Brew Hut next door
Tom's Home Cooking for hangover lunch food
Sam's No. 3 for recovery breakfast

Anything else?

Where you staying?

Burgers - city grille or my brothers bar
Pizza - wazee supper club
Beer - the rackhouse has about 30 colorado beers on tap. Plus you can hit renegade brewing and breckenridgebrewery, they're all very close.

There's also the falling rock tap house with about 100 beers on tap, and the cheeky monk on east colfax.

Of course if you want to see some live bluegrass, strange brewery, Friday 5-8.

All these places are within a mile or two of gabf.

http://www.denver.org/denverbeerfest

Cheeky Monk is a definite go to place.
Tom's is GREAT but only open on weekdays
Great Divide is downtown
Strange brewing Co. is close to downtown
Hops & Pie is a good place for great beers and good pizza (I skip the pies though and get their mac & cheese)
The Ale House at Amato's has good food and beer selection.
Stueben's IS FANTASTIC food.
Vesta Dipping Grill is great.
Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs, delicious and open late. Great dogs like elk cheddar jalapeno dog, wild boar dog, all beef (boring)etc.

Really if you could give us an idea of where you're staying or what kind of food you prefer we could provide you great places to visit.

If you want a list I can PM you an extensive one I did for my cousing while he was out visiting.

+1 Euclid Hall and Wazee Supper Club

If you're willing to have a little bit of a drive, definitely get up to Boulder...
Breweries:
Avery Brewery/Tap Room
Boulder Beer
Mountain Sun

Food:
The Pinyon
The Kitchen - can be a little pricey, but focus on locally sourced food and beer (def. try something from Crystal Springs if you make it)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have no idea where we are staying (since The Boss set up this trip) and we plan on doing some driving before/after.

Any/all suggestions are great.

Cherry Cricket for the best burgers in town.
Falling rock for the best tap selection.
Stop at a larger liquor store and look for Pliny. McCormicks and Schimts for the best happy hour downtown. The Fort for wild game. I lived there for 10 years and going back next year.

+1 to Strange Brewing and Great Divide for local micros.

Food: Head to Snooze for breakfast one of the mornings then over to Great Divide afterwards for a beer. Last year we had a great Beer Pairing dinner at Simms with Dogfish, this year they are doing it again with Stone. Haven't decided if we are going yet. Other dinner place that blew us away last year was Rootdown.

+1 to Toms.

Vine Street pub for great beer and food. Also, City O City.

If you can get outside of Denver a bit, Left Hand Brewery is in Longmont (maybe 35 minute drive) which is awesome. Oskar Blues (in Longmont) also has a restaurant where they sell their beers (the actual brewery is in Estes Park), a wide selection of other Colorado beers, and some great food. And if you go to Boulder, hit up Avery Brewery. Tap room there is awesome, and it's $1 for a 4 oz. sample of pretty much all their beers. So you get a lot for a little.

McCormick's Fish House in Lo-Do. The Cruise room in the back is a cool retro martini bar and the front bar does awesome appetizers for happy hour....and Ketel One martinis. Back in the day they were all $1, but that was long ago. Still a good deal though.

Near Evans and Colorado is a little dive called Kokoro Bowl. AWESOME Japanese fast food, cheap. In the same area, Evans and Broadway is the original Chipotle. Burritos the size of your head and a line to get in....don't miss. The chain is good, but this place will rock your world.

If you like outdoors stuff, hiking up to Gem lake in Estes Park....or take a hike out to St. Mary's Glacier. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is worth an afternoon to drive down to.

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is worth an afternoon to drive down to.

If you make it down to Colorado Springs, the Colorado Mountain Brewery right off Interquest and I-25 is awesome. Some of the best food I have ever had and good beer as well.

Although, if you are going to be driving that far you might as well head north to Fort Collins for a day as well to check out New Belgium. Great tour and awesome brewery. Can also hit up Odells and Fort Collins Brewery.

If you can make it to FT. Collins, check out Funk Works Brewery and try the "Hibiscus Resistance" session beer. Awesome.

depending on what u like

cuba cuba cafa on 10th and delaware great cubin food
nonas italian chagico bestro on leetsdale and monico
luca de italia ( not cheap)
ostairos marcos ( not cheap)
earls down town
for b-fast i recomend orginal pancake house in the tech center

Wow! This thread blew up. Thanks guys.

Any/all suggestions are welcome since when I travel, beer is in the forefront and anything I'd be pissed to find out I missed once I got back is secondary. I'll be picking up some bottles and hitting up some of the breweries, too. Thanks for all the food ideas. It's always a bummer to sit down hungry at a crappy restaurant.

So near Denver small non bottled beer worth visiting: Strange Brewing, Renegade Brewing, Bull and Bush (good burgers as well) Golden City Brewing in golden. Tones in the boulder and north as well

Bigger ones worth while: Great Divide, Breckenridge, and of course, Coors

Bars, Falling Rock (will be packed as hell) Cheeky Monk

Also Google Denver beer week

cdezeeuw said:
If you make it down to Colorado Springs, the Colorado Mountain Brewery right off Interquest and I-25 is awesome. Some of the best food I have ever had and good beer as well.

Although, if you are going to be driving that far you might as well head north to Fort Collins for a day as well to check out New Belgium. Great tour and awesome brewery. Can also hit up Odells and Fort Collins Brewery.

Trinity Brewing is the place to go in Colorado Springs, I think.

It kind of depends on whether you demand your beer & food in one venue, or are willing to accept them separately. We've been on tours of Twisted Pine and Boulder Beer in Boulder, and New Belgium, O'Dells, and Fort Collins Brewery in Fort Collins. Also Breckenridge, up in the eponymous town in Summit Co. All were good tours. Breckenridge and Boulder Beer have restaurants, and we ate good food in the Breckenridge Brewpub.

If I were looking for food in most cases, though, I'd pick the food and let the beer follow along however it worked out. For most stuff like burgers and the usual bar food, I suspect there are lots of good places. If you like game, the best place I've ever been is the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver. Elk, Deer, Bison, Ostrich, Rattlesnake, and others. Or, you can always just get something like a big 'ol steak. Somewhere in a shopping center near Denver, next to a vast Asian market, is a Vietnamese restaurant (shouldn't be hard to find with that description) that has wonderful food.

Forgot about Stranahan's Distillery/Rackhouse. Colorado whiskey and awesome chili.
Also - Sweet Action ice cream on Broadway is rockin'!

Back