Rhizome storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegeberg

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a couple of rhizomes which were dug up this past Saturday and placed in big ziplock bags with a good deal of soil added to the bags. I will not be getting around to planting them before this Sunday, will they be fine at room temperature like that or should i put them in the fridge/add water to the soil in the bags? They are currently being stored at around 18 celcius.

Thanks,
Thomas

Take the soil out of the bag. Wipe down the rhizome with a solution of water and a very small amount of bleach (3 tablespoons bleach/gallon water). Put them in a plastic bag with a small amount of paper towel that is moist to keep some moisture in there. Then put it in the refrigerator. They should be good for a month or so.

If you can't do that or wait that long, put them in a pot and let them grow to transplant later.

I don't see why you couldn't just throw the whole bag into the fridge, soil and all.

Dan, what's the deal with the bleach? I look at it as they're already dirty and they're only gonna be back in the dirt in a couple days. Just don't see why they need a bath is all.

Plant them out. If frost kills the first few shoots, it is helping you. You will want the LONGEST growing season possible.

If its a couple of days...so be it. I'm just assuming that like all good plans, this one will change because tegeberg's SWMBO or boss will force him to change his plans and that rhizome will sit for days and days.

The lack of soil and bit of bleach is to knock down any mold or other crap that may want to eat up the rhizome.

It will be planted this weekend for sure. I have no way of planting it before unfortunately. I am mostly thinking about whether it should be put in the fridge (has already been out since Saturday) or given moisture.

Latest posts

Back