rye ipa idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malric

Reaction score
I'm working on a new rye ipa recipe. Any thoughts?

5 gallons
8lb 2row
1lb rye
1lb white wheat
1lb crystal 60

60 min - .5oz Columbus
20 min - .5oz legacy
0 min - .5oz legacy

Dry hop 10 days
1oz Amarillo
1oz Legacy

Wyeast 1056

Unfortunately, my lhbs only had a pound, so I had to go with a wheat/rye. Any Thoughts on the crystal?

Crystal is good as far as quantity. I usually go with 10L but only to keep it a bit lighter color. I add a little carapils as well but I don't think it is necessary and will probably leave it out next time.

The key to this is the dry hopping...and time. Let it sit in the primary for at least 3 weeks and then dry hop in the secondary. You may have to wait 3 weeks in the bottle for proper carb and melding of flavors but it will be good. This is now one of my standards that I try to keep in regular rotation. I think the rye is the key.

i agree with moer rye. i made a couple Rye IPAs and should have had more than a pound of rye in each.

I am planning on 3 weeks in the fermentor, dry hopping when I'm a few points from expected FG, then keg.

Back