Hello folks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithcrash

Reaction score
Hello Homebrew Talk! I'm Keith. I'm brand new to homebrewing. I've just moved to Portland Oregon and I love beer. Seeing that everyone I've met in Portland is either a homebrewer or knows someone that is a homebrewer, I had to give it a try.

My first batch was a partial grain stout. I learned two things after making my first successful beer. One, people can actually MAKE beer. At home even. And two, I freaking love making beer at home.

Man, I have caught the bug. Now, all I think about is making beer. I have all kinds of questions about it and I find myself on Google looking up all kinds of things. In my Googling, I was inevitably brought to a post on Homebrew Talk with the answer to whatever question I had. And that is why I am here. You guys know your stuff and I want to be apart of this amazing community.

So, thank you for answering the silly questions I've had and I am looking forward to chatting with you all.

Welcome to the addiction. You should have no problem finding people interested in beer and homebrewing in Portland, although beware the beer snobs.

Most of my homebrew Googling at this point includes the keyword "homebrewtalk", since most relevant results are here anyway :)

Much appreciated KISS. Yea, I've seen some of the snobbery already. But more then that, I've seen a real passion for brewing too. That has been amazing to experience.

On a side note, I moved to Portland from Chattanooga. I spent quite a lot of time in Athens going to see live music and drink interesting beer. I was not all that interested in homebrewing at the time so I didn't have an opportunity to gauge how prevalent it was in the area. Is there a community of homebrewers in the Athens area?

Is there a community of homebrewers in the Athens area?

Yes, although I'm not really involved. I'm a graduate student, and between studying and my own beer projects, I have precious little time.

It's funny, I moved here from Eureka, CA about a year ago, so we switched coasts. I think you got the better end of the deal, though. I can't wait to move back to the Pacific NW.

Yes, although I'm not really involved. I'm a graduate student, and between studying and my own beer projects, I have precious little time.

It's funny, I moved here from Eureka, CA about a year ago, so we switched coasts. I think you got the better end of the deal, though. I can't wait to move back to the Pacific NW.

That is very cool. What are you studying?

What's even funnier is, I moved to Chattanooga from Olympia WA. Like you, I was a transplanted Pacific Northwesterner, living in the South, longing to go home. I was out there for about 4 years before coming back.

Great first post Keith. See you 'round the campus.

Thanks Passedpawn!

I'm right there with you Keith. After a 20 year hiatus I'm all in- today I put my second batch in three weeks into the fermenter and brought home a 5gal corny kit from the local brew shop. Making beer is a blast and oh so rewarding. Enjoy that stout!

I'm right there with you Keith. After a 20 year hiatus I'm all in- today I put my second batch in three weeks into the fermenter and brought home a 5gal corny kit from the local brew shop. Making beer is a blast and oh so rewarding. Enjoy that stout!

Hey thanks Jehowe. What was this second batch you made?

Yea, making beer is amazing.

Much appreciated KISS. Yea, I've seen some of the snobbery already. But more then that, I've seen a real passion for brewing too. That has been amazing to experience.

On a side note, I moved to Portland from Chattanooga. I spent quite a lot of time in Athens going to see live music and drink interesting beer. I was not all that interested in homebrewing at the time so I didn't have an opportunity to gauge how prevalent it was in the area. Is there a community of homebrewers in the Athens area?

Welcome to the forums Keith.

Can you say Georgia Theater and the 40 Watt club? I was there for 5 years man, during the Blue Monkey days and well before the Ga Theater burned. Man I loved that place! Killer culture in that town for sure!

Cheers
Jay

Welcome to the forums Keith.

Can you say Georgia Theater and the 40 Watt club? I was there for 5 years man, during the Blue Monkey days and well before the Ga Theater burned. Man I loved that place! Killer culture in that town for sure!

Cheers
Jay

Hey thanks Jaybird! I know 40 Watt well. I spent a lot of time there. I didn't go to Georgia Theater often though. 40 Watt played more of what I liked then Georgia Theater did. I've heard talk of the Blue Monkey, but didn't realize there was a scene around it. What was that like?

Yea, I really liked Athens. Before deciding to move back to this area of the country, I considered moving there. I came close to staying in the south and living in Athens rather then moving to Portland.

Hey thanks Jaybird! I know 40 Watt well. I spent a lot of time there. I didn't go to Georgia Theater often though. 40 Watt played more of what I liked then Georgia Theater did. I've heard talk of the Blue Monkey, but didn't realize there was a scene around it. What was that like?

Yea, I really liked Athens. Before deciding to move back to this area of the country, I considered moving there. I came close to staying in the south and living in Athens rather then moving to Portland.

Yeah I spent a ton of time in all the clubs in Athens 40 Watt was one of the best. Saw the B52s there as well as R.E.M playing an in prompt to, R.E.M took over the stage one night on a whim! It was KILLER! Tons of chicks! Sex on the couches Sex on the stage....Loved that place!

The Blue Monkey was a killer 3 story pool and beer bar, darts and shuffle board, dancing Smoken HOT collage coed's. Largest pool bet I ever made "and won" was in that place! I dated a chick that worked there for a spell, so I did spend a bunch of time there. It was a blast! Cool hangout the chicken wing place was right next door so food was always GREAT! Man I miss Athens!
Jay

Latest posts

Back