Belgian Tripel - First Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm just looking for some input on a recipe I started assembling with a guy at my brew store. I'm still semi-new to brewing and this is my first attempt at a high test beer like this that wasn't assembled in a kit for me. Any thoughts would be great.

Specialty Malt: Briess (Dextrine) Malt 1 LB
Briess Pilsen Xtra Light Malt Extract 9.9 LB
Belgian Candy Sugar 1 LB
Bullion Hop Pellets (Alpha 9.1) 1 oz
Yeast: Fermentis Softbrew T-58

Pretty Simple ingredients. What i'm looking for is a standard Belgian Tripel. I skipped the aromatics on this one. I'll probably primary it for 10 days - 2 weeks and then let it rot in a secondary for a good amount of time.

Thanks!
_Tom

10 days will not be enough. Don't go by # of days. Do not rack until done! This could take 3-4 weeks. Don't know if 1 pack of yeast is enough. Might want to get it going a few days ahead of time. I would also lose the Dextrine malt and maybe add more sugar. There will be enough unfermentables in the extract to give you some mouthfeel which should be on the low side for a Trippel anyway. A good Trippel should be dry.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will definately start the yeast up early. Do you think the hops are sufficient?

I think it'll be good.

I would do a minimash with 1# of 2-row and 1# of Munich or Vienna to replace 1# of extract. The tripel is nice and light so a little bit of darker base malt really comes through and gives a nice flavor and color.

You want about 1:3 IBU:OG ratio for a tripel. I think the single hop addition is sufficient. I used 2oz Mt Hood for bittering my tripel and came out around 30 IBUs. My OG was 1.090.

Tripels take forever in the fermenter. I don't remember how long mine was in the primary but I think it was 4-5 weeks. It was a good 3 1/2 weeks before the yeast activity completely died down. These Belgian yeasts can be really slow finishing with a high gravity.

I would pitch 2pkgs of dry yeast for a beer this big. Starters are more expensive and more hassle than just buying more dry yeast. ;)

Back