trouble with kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briggssteel

Reaction score
So I've just cleaned my keg. I have it filled with 3 gallons of starsan and ran air through it to seal it. The air is pushing the starsan through the bottom of the hex nut on my out post. I@o guessing it shouldn't do that. I just put a new gasket on the dip tube so I don't know what the issue is or what I should do.

I would take it apart again, make sure everything is lubed up and seated properly, and try again...they're easy little things, but they seem to give a lot of people problems now and again

Remove the post and inspect the o-ring on the out tube, and make sure there is no debri keeping the thing from sealing. Might just need some lube. And the obious question - is the post tight? I have not found it necessary to tighten them down with a lot of force just good and tight.

You probably rolled or unseated the o-ring during installation. Hopefully you didn't damage it, and a lube and re-install should have you back in business.

Good luck.

Remove the post and inspect the o-ring on the out tube, and make sure there is no debri keeping the thing from sealing. Might just need some lube. And the obious question - is the post tight? I have not found it necessary to tighten them down with a lot of force just good and tight.

It is good and tight. Are you talking about the o ring on the dip tube? THe one I replaced seems a lot different than the one that was on it. It doesn't seem to really seal, just sit between the dip tube top and the post opening beneath it.

Home brew supplie stores cell it as do online stores. Not sure if you could find it in food stores, maybe. You want something that is food safe. I 've never done it but heard of people using KY jelly!

I bought some kegs off a guy once and he lubed everything up with vaseline. I've always heard that is the wrong thing to use and could destroy the rubber. Not positive that's a fact but didn't want to chance it. I cleaned it off right away.

Do You think it's just because the star san is foaming up or should it not leak at all? CAn you tell it's my first experience with a keg?

Should be as tight as a drum. If it is leaking at the post the take it apart and check the dip tube and make sure it is not bent at the end. I had one that was bent up right on the lip and it leaked like a water balloon with a needle in it.

This is how the gasket(O ring) should look on the dip tube.

image-546335943.jpg

Is it smaller diameter or smaller thickness? If it is smaller thickness and possibly green or red it may be for the ball lock connection on the top of the keg where your liquid line connects to.

nasty_rabbit said:
Is it smaller diameter or smaller thickness? If it is smaller thickness and possibly green or red it may be for the ball lock connection on the top of the keg where your liquid line connects to.

Like these

image-1724572055.jpg

image-3974738050.jpg

It fits right around the dip tube but it's a lot thinner and less bulky. It's black and not the o rings for the posts. I put those on as well recently so I know what those are like. It doesn't seem tight at all like it would create a seal. When you screw on the post is it supposed to push down on the dip tube to put pressure against it?

Yes, it should snug up as you tough ten the post. Maybe it's a bad O ring. I'm not sure that the pictures are that clear but here is a comparison of thicknesses.

image-3158197079.jpg

image-148670028.jpg

Yes - when screwed down there should be sufficient pressure to create a seal between the connections. It should not move.

Also, check the tube itself. I had a C02 leak which I thought was a bad o ring, but the tube was actually dented/damaged.
I suggest:
Replace the o ring - test it
If you have another keg switch the tube using the new o ring - test it.

If it's still leaking at that point you might have the threads on the hex nut or actual keg that's damaged.

Hey guys. I fixed my problem. My o ring was too thin like I thought. I just put two of them on and it sealed it. I'll have to look into ordering the type of oring that came with It. Thanks for your help guys.

Back