trying to be patient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Trying to wait patiently to bottle my brew. Thursday is the day! I used tasty brew to figure out priming sugar. Got just one question. Does of sound right that it told me to use the same amount in a fruit and honey ale as just a honey ale? I suppose ill follow what it says since it knows better than me, but just doesn't sound right.

Yup.

What the beer itself is doesn't matter so much as what you're desired carbonation level is. The yeast will chew through that sugar, making a tiny bit more alcohol and, more importantly, CO2. This is entirely the yeast chewing through the priming sugar - the beer it's in isn't all that important.

The exception comes when you're dealing with really high alcohol beers - but those just tend to take more time, not varying amounts of priming sugar.

Ok, thanks. I'm just over thinking this. Thinking about all the sugars the yeast can react to. But I guess what it wants at that point is the priming sugar. Thanks for setting me straight.

Yeah, yeast will only ferment to a certain point - that's referred to as its attenuation level. By the time a beer is fully fermented, it's reached whatever attenuation level that the yeast is likely able to reach - so all those sugars (whether from malt, fruit, honey, candi sugar, etc) have already been converted to whatever degree the yeast is able to handle.

When we bottle, we add a little extra sugar, which sort of throws off the balance - now there's new fermentables in the beer (that happen to be fully fermentable), so the yeast wake back up again and chew through them until they hit roughly that same attenuation point.

As you get used to using the tasty brew priming calculator,you can go to the "volumes of co2" box & adjust the number up or down to better suit the style of beer for that batch.

This is all good info. Thanks. I have learned so much from you guys. I am so glad I found this forum!

Back