German Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I know there ain't no such thing, but I want one.

What DRY yeast could I use? Recipe would just have

4.5 lbs of Pilsner
0.5 lbs of Munich
2 oz of Carafa I

1.5 oz of Magnum at 60 min
0.75 oz of Magnum at 10 min
0.75 oz of Magnum at 5 min

There is a local brewer here in STL that makes a "German IPA" and I'm pretty sure he uses Hallertau at least for finishing hops. That being said magnum would be good for your bittering addition. As for yeast to make it "authentic" I would use the Wyeast german ale strain.

I realize that it isnt a dry yeast. If you have to use DRY I would go with US05.

There is a local brewer here in STL that makes a "German IPA" and I'm pretty sure he uses Hallertau at least for finishing hops. That being said magnum would be good for your bittering addition. As for yeast to make it "authentic" I would use the Wyeast german ale strain.

I realize that it isnt a dry yeast. If you have to use DRY I would go with US05.

Thanks, I have some Hallertau but only .7 oz left. Could buy more.
I have lots of US 05 also have some Munich Wheat. Wonder what that would do to a non-wheat brew?

That's the beauty of home brewing. I've made some great batches with "leftovers". And further more when I first tried the aforementioned beer I had low expectations for it but it turned to be fantastic and has made my top 5 beers of 2011. I love citrus bomb IPAs but the earthy, spicy, and floral aromas and flavors from that beer make it a nice change of pace from the typical commercial IPAs.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I didn't get much aroma/flavour from magnum in the SMASH I did a few months back, with FWH and a massive late addition. I love magnum for bittering, but it's a bit lacking for anything else.

This beer sounds like a good idea.. but if you really want to do it right, what I would do is use Wyeast-3068 Weinstephan.

What would be good is doing a weizenbock that is heavily hopped. So pretty much a heffe but twice as much grain.

I would also use Halletauer or Saaz for the finishing hops

If you cannot find a good dry yeast to use I would recommend an altbier strain. Or the German ale liquid yeasts. The only one I could find really for german ales as a dry yeast is the Safale K97. It's more for weizens but you shouldn't get much of the bananna or clove flavor due to not having the wheat to give lots of ferulic acid.

K97 AFAIK is an Altbier strain with low esters according to Fermentis. The wheat beer styles it's meant to target are likely more Widmer than Weihenstephan.

Thanks guys. My LHBS doesn't carry 97. So I'll have to wait on this brew until I get enough "stuffs" for a MidWest order. No sense paying $5 shipping for one pack of yeast. Hmmm OK what else do I need? :) :tank: :p

Taking all the helpful comments I've cut back size to 1.5 g as I use a 2 g fermenter and the suggested K-97 produces a lot of krausen.

So here is the new recipe for what I'm now calling:

KAISER RIDGE IMPERIAL IPA

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 79.0 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 19.7 %
1.0 oz Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.3 %
1.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 5 -
1.0 pkg SafAle German Ale (DCL/Fermentis #K-97) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1.25 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 89.9 IBUs
0.75 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.70 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Est Original Gravity: 1.088
Est Final Gravity: 1.019
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.2 %
Bitterness: 89.9 IBUs
Est Color: 11.4 SRM

Subbing.

I've been toying with the idea of making a traditional IPA but using German ale yeast. Interested to see how your idea pans out.

Hello C rider. I would suggest using more hallertau in your dry hop addition or leaving it more time dry hopping (maybe a week more).

I recently experimented with an Imperial IPA using noble hops. I FWH using 1 ounce each of Hallertau, Tettnang and Czech Saaz and no late additions. After fermentation was over I dry hopped it with the same amount of noble hops for a week and all I obtained was a very faint but pleasant aroma (the Hallertau dominating). When I say faint, I mean having to cover my glass with a cup, swirl the beer around and practically stick my nose in the beer to get the aroma. And this was 7 days 3 oz of dry-hops for a five gallon batch!

Supposing that I lost all aroma from the FWH (I did a 90 minute boil of my bittering hops) and that all aroma I obtained was only form the dry-hops, I would think that a longer dry-hopping time would contribute more aroma to your recipe if your looking to get more aroma than the one you will already have from your late additions.

Just my 2 cents. I cant wait to see how it turns out. I like the idea of using a German strain for a pale ale.

i was thinking about doing something like this the other day, for some reason i usually think of a weird name and then craft a beer around that. was thinking hopfenhaus named after the old german hop houses

Hello C rider. I would suggest using more hallertau in your dry hop addition or leaving it more time dry hopping (maybe a week more).

I recently experimented with an Imperial IPA using noble hops. I FWH using 1 ounce each of Hallertau, Tettnang and Czech Saaz and no late additions. After fermentation was over I dry hopped it with the same amount of noble hops for a week and all I obtained was a very faint but pleasant aroma (the Hallertau dominating). When I say faint, I mean having to cover my glass with a cup, swirl the beer around and practically stick my nose in the beer to get the aroma. And this was 7 days 3 oz of dry-hops for a five gallon batch!

Supposing that I lost all aroma from the FWH (I did a 90 minute boil of my bittering hops) and that all aroma I obtained was only form the dry-hops, I would think that a longer dry-hopping time would contribute more aroma to your recipe if your looking to get more aroma than the one you will already have from your late additions.

Just my 2 cents. I cant wait to see how it turns out. I like the idea of using a German strain for a pale ale.

Thanks, may have to alter the recipe again. But that's the reason for posting it WAY BEFORE I brew.

Back