Chili Recipe Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Mines pretty weak, that's why I'm hoping the serious chefs will chime in with some sexy recipes. #1, I don't measure my spices, so it tastes a little different every time.

I use one of two meats, ground venison or ground turkey.

1.5lb meat
4 big cans of tomatoe sauce
4 cans of corn
4 cans of dark red kidney beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
A generous amount of chipotle chili powder
A generous amount of red chili powder
A generous amount of ground cumin
A few red chilis chopped
A bit of Onion Powder
A clove of garlic, minced
Enough chopped celery to really thicken it up.
Half of one of those small boxes of dark brown sugar
a few splashes of pineapple juice
Salt to taste

Simmer over medium low heat til the celery is soft. (about 3 or 4 hours).

It may be simple... but it's damn good.

Here's a great recipe from a good late friend (RIP). It's for the Big Green Egg, but can be done on any smoker or modified for the stove.

Kenny's Chili

Ingredients
1 large can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes and liquid. *(Muir Glen)
2 cans (14 oz. each) chili beans and liquid. *(Bush's, hot or mild)
1 lb ground meat or sausage (ground chuck, sirloin in any fat/lean combination) left over sausage, etc.)
2-3 strips of bacon.
2-3 medium cloves of garlic run thru a garlic press.
1 large or 2 small onions, medium chop *(vidalia).
2 stalks cerery, small dice.
2 Tbs chili powder *(McCormick or something better).
1 Tbs ground cumin.
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
1 squirt chocolate syrup or 1 T. Cocoa powder *(Hersheys, Swiss Miss).
Splash of balsamic vinegar.
Splash or Tabasco hot sauce or your favorite.
1 tsp oregano.
2 Tbs BBQ rub *(Dizzy Dust, Lysanders, Bilardo Bros.).
6 0z. beef broth *(Swanson) or better yet, beer or fruity red wine.
1 large dried chilipepper (guarillo, california,
pasilla, chipotle, scotch bonnet-(5 alarm).
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Wood chunks, I used Kiawe (Hawaiian mesquite) and pecanin ATL.
*Indicates recommended brands
Preparation:
Preheat your Egg to 275-300º
Open tomato and bean cans and dump into appropriately sized "chili pot", deep Corningware cassarole dish, metal stockpot, cast iron dutch oven, etc.
Fry baconextra crisp in a non stick skillet and crumble into chili pot.
Use bacon drippings to brown ground meat and sausage, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go. Halfway thru the browning process, add onions, garlic and celery. Drain grease and dump contents into chili pot. Float your dried peppers on top.
Add all remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to incorporate well. Cook on the Egg with smoking chunks, placing chilipot on a pizza stone or other "thermal barrier". This allows the chili to heat slowly and pick up more smoke flavor. Stir
and taste every 20 minutes or so. Monitor the chili temp with an instant read thermo or Polder. Remove the dried pepper when you have the heat you are looking for. At about 140º internal and/or 1.5-2 hours,
remove the thermal barrier. With the pot directly over the heat now, it should come up to a boil in about 30 more minutes. Serve with thinly sliced green onions and graded cheddar cheese on top, perhaps a dolop
of sour cream also. It will taste even better the next day when reheated from a refrigerated and not frozen state.

This won the Kansas State Chili Cook off – 1988.

Nice, Southwest style chunky steak chili.

3 large white sweet onions, large diced
3 large white sweet onions, peeled and drizzled with olive oil
4 red bell peppers OR 1 lb baby bell peppers, tossed in olive oil
5 lbs flank steak, rubbed with olive oil
2 large cans (15 ounces, I think) Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 large cans (15 ounces, I think) Black beans, drained and rinsed
1 giant-size (106 ounces, I think) crushed tomatoes
1 stick butter
1/2 small bottle Knorr Mexican-style beef bullion stock
4 bunches green onions

1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 whole cumin seed
1/2 cup ground chipotle pepper
1/2 cup hot chili powder
1/8 cup Habanera peppers, mixed with 1 cup vinegar and pureed in blender for at least 3 minutes
3/4 cup dried cilantro
On preheated grill, add some soaked mesquite wood chunks to smoker box. Sear flank steak, turn over. Cook whole onions directly on top of meat. Char peppers on the side. Turn meat when bottom starts to crisp. When mesquite starts to smoke well, turn off gas, remove peppers, and put down the lid. Allow to smoke without checking for one hour.

In large Dutch oven, dump in butter and diced onion. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring only once. Add spices, beans, tomatoes, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and stir often. Core charred peppers, coarse-dice and add to pot.

Remove onions and steak from grill. Meat should have an oily, black layer and taste almost bitter. Edges will be crispy, but will add excellent flavor. Slice meat thin against the grain and then cross-slice. Coarse-dice onions. Add, stir, cover and simmer over low heat for a while.

Just before serving, tail green onions, dice and stir into chili.

Those look great!

Ed, having your friend's recipe live on is a great tribute to him.

PseudoChef said:
I'll be making one up this week, but I don't really measure anything anymore :(

Tsk, tsk tsk. :D

My personal journey went through the non measurement phase (on anything, even in the restaurant setting) and now back to measurement. Well, let me take a step back. I measure everything by weight because I am in the process of formulating all of my recipes for just about everything. Especially sausages and dry cured sausage/salami.

This way when the kids grow old and have kids of their own and say "Gee dad, what's your recipe for Brats or Haggis or Habanero hotsauce" then I can give them a very exacting recipe. There is still the 'once in a lifetime' dishes I come up with, like when I am cooking dinner, etc. But now, everytime I begin to make something that is a repeat dish, it gets recorded. Just food (lol) for thought.

Mmmm. Chili. It is chili time!

Who here serves over cornbread? Rice? Nothing?

zoebisch01 said:
Who here serves over cornbread? Rice? Nothing?
I usually make a cast-iron skillet of cornbead when I make chili, but if that runs out before the chili, I've been known to put it over a hamburger roll.

And on top of it, I usually do some or all of the following -- sour cream, cheese, onions, hot peppers, hot sauce, cilantro, corn chips, etc.

Man, I want some chili now -- and it's cold & rainy out, so it's a good day for it.

Real Green Bay Style Chili

This is the chili that has been served for years and years at Chili John’s in Green Bay and at Real Chili near Marquette University in Milwaukee. I'm told it's somewhat similar to Cincinnati chili. Although the actual recipe is a closely guarded secret, this recipe here is really close to the real thing:

2 lbs. ground beef
¾ medium onion, grated
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 T garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
2 cups water

Brown ground beef, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks. Stir in all remaining ingredients and transfer to slow cooker. Cook on low for about 8 hours.

Serve in a bowl over either red kidney beans, spaghetti, or beans and spaghetti (the last way is called a "Marquette Special"). Serve with lots of oyster crackers. Other recommended condiments: more chili powder, cider vinegar, finely grated cheddar cheese, chopped raw onions, sour cream.

Notes: Don’t waste your money on ground round or sirloin or any other expensive meat. This recipe tastes best if made with plain old ground beef. Regarding the chocolate, although the recipe calls for unsweetened, you can also try substituting semi-sweet for half or all of the chocolate. Lastly, although the recipe says kidney beans, I find that I like the canned beans labeled “red beans” better.

BierMuncher said:
Fritos, a ton of diced onions, a teaspoon of pureed jalepenos and tobasco.

Not a big fan of tobasco on things that I think are already spicy enough. But, interesting story, I do know the McIlhenny who is heir to the McIlhenny Tobasco corporation. Really cool dude, homebrews a little. Went to college with him in Asheville, NC.

Here's mine:

2 pounds of Ground Deer Meat
2 cubes of beef bulion
1/2 large white onion finely diced
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 14.5oz can kidney beans
1 14.5oz can of Black beans
2-3 jalapeno peppers diced
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsps Chili Powder
1 can beer

Brown the meat and then cook it all on medium heat till, add beer as necessary to keep it from sticking. Pour on some beer then let it cook down.

Then eat it.

Ok, measured most things, and actually recorded the recipe I used this time. It came out really good.

Texas –style Smoked Chili

Ingredients:
~2lbs flank steak (or whatever’s on sale…I personally don’t think the cut is going to make a huge difference as I cut it up into quite small pieces, across the grain)
1 medium onion, fine dice
2 stalks celery, fine dice
½ green pepper, fine dice
4 green jalapenos, fine dice

The Gravy:
4-5 red jalapenos
4 poblanos, roasted and skins removed
2 chipotle chiles, in adobo sauce
8 cloves garlic, made into paste
28 oz tomato sauce
28 oz beef stock
12 oz beer (medium bodied ale works best, nothing heavy, though)
Brown sugar to adjust sweetness level to desired taste.

The powder:
5-6 ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed and cut up (scissors work best)
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
2 tbl whole coriander seeds
1 tsp dried oregano

Finely cube the meat, making sure one cut is directly made across the grain (I went about 1/8”). Dredge in olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper. Let come to room temperature, about 15-20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Lightly toast the ancho chiles, coriander, cumin, and oregano over medium-medium low heat, stirring frequently. After about 15 minutes toasting, transfer to a food processor or spice grinder. Grind fine.

Brown the meat over medium high heat, about 5-7 minutes. You do not need to cook completely at this step. Remove the meat and drain and discard the fat. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and sweat the onions, celery, green and jalapeno peppers, pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. A little color is ok, but don’t try to carmelize the vegetables. Remove.

Saute the red jalapenos over medium-high heat until they become soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, beef stock, beer, and a pinch of salt . Chop and add the chipotles, roasted poblanos, and garlic paste. Stir until incorporated. Use an immersion style blender to puree until smooth. Taste, add brown sugar if necessary. I used a tbls at most.

Add back the meat and vegetables, and simmer over low heat 2-3 hours.
Serve with whatever makes you happy: I use white rice, monterrey jack cheese, sour cream, and a pinch of chopped, fresh cilantro.

Notes: Texas style chili is defined by just meat and a smooth red sauce. There are no beans. The 2 small chipotles add all the smoke from the name. I love this flavor. If you’re looking for something milder, use roasted red peppers instead.

This may seem quite time-consuming, but mis-en-place is key. Chop everything before you even turn the burners on! (Unless you need to roast the poblanos, of course!)

Fresh chile powder is essential. Take the time to do this. Premade powders have been sitting on the shelf forever and have lost most of their flavour.

Salting in stages is crucial to this dish. It is near impossible to salt to taste at the end of cooking. Salt the meat, vegetables, and sauce all separately.
Immersion blenders can be messy. Make a radial cut into a paper plate and slip it over the blender.

Best cooked and cooled the previous day. This allows the flavors to meld more and also works in the benefit of thickening the gravy and re-gelatinizing the meat, effectively tenderizing it believe it or not.

9248-StoutandChili008.JPG

9248-StoutandChili007.JPG

9248-StoutandChili012.JPG

9248-StoutandChili014.JPG

This was before pureeing. I forgot about taking pictures after this point. I'll snap some of the finished product next time I have a bowl.

Cheers!

here's mine. i can't seem to make enough to freeze it cos everyone keeps eating it... sigh.. this is in my slow cooker for about 5-6 hours at least.

1lb ground beef
1lb ground pork

brown with one red onion and 3-4 cloves of chopped garlic then toss in the cooker.

2 cans diced tomatoes.
1 can of corn
1 can red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can chickpeas (or white kidney beans whichever you like more)

rinse all the beans to get the gross tin can flavour off them.

1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
7-8 mushrooms sliced
4-5 jalapenos or habaneros diced (dont touch your face! man that sucks...)

then 1 tbsp of cracked black pepper and salt.
3 tbsp chili powder
1/2 bottle of chili sauce
quite a few good splashes of your favorite hot sauce.

give it a good stir and let 'er simmer.

i believe that is everything, i tend to make it a little differently every time but those are the basic ingredients.

Back