Is this looking right for my first sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylja06

Reaction score
Recipe is the first one on this page if helpful.

Looks like a pellicle combined with a yeast cake:
sxnbG.jpg

It looks scary as hell to me. Kind of like the yeast was dead and has clumped up with the fruuit on the surface:confused:

Well the second response is more what I was thinking, but the first makes sense. It''s had yeast added at two points though so death confuses me, albeit maybe overexposure to bacteria? I was going to let it age a good while, should I just bottle now?

It doesn't look like it's ready for bottling. You can tell just by looking at how dense and cloudy it is there's a lot of activity still going on (unless you had just moved it a lot to take the picture). Bacteria, like yeast, will drop out when they stop feeding.

Oh okay. I didn't think it was time to bottle at all; it's only two weeks old. I was more thrown by the yeast death comment and if I could salvage anything by bottling.

I doubt that you have pellicle already. I am guessing that it is yeast/kraussen floating on the fruit.

Oh okay. Just seemed to match the pictures I had seen; I'm new to this whole side of brewing even conceptually. But that more than makes sense.

Back