German Wheat, how does this look.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Brewing this to give to my dad, he is a huge German Wheat fan. I how ever am not. I had one a few weeks back that had some rye in it and thought it did add a better taste to it. How does this look, an opinions? Things you might change? Im planing on decocation mashing this with a few rests. I am also undecided on which yeast. What is yalls fav. the 300 or the 380?

Recipe: Ryan's German wheat.
Brewer: Ryan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 9.1 %
4.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.9 %
4.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.9 %
1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Looks simple...and tasty. A winner!

Go for the 300 yeast if you want true German hefe flavor (fruity/estery). Use the 380 if you want to subdue the esters.

I brewed an American hefe with the 380 recently and it was a real hit with everyone who tried it. Accidentally left the last keg of it sitting at room temp for 2 weeks...that one tastes a little off...oops.

Yuri_Rage said:
Looks simple...and tasty. A winner!

Go for the 300 yeast if you want true German hefe flavor (fruity/estery). Use the 380 if you want to subdue the esters.

I brewed an American hefe with the 380 recently and it was a real hit with everyone who tried it. Accidentally left the last keg of it sitting at room temp for 2 weeks...that one tastes a little off...oops.

Does the 380 still have some of the true German flavors? I would like to have a little less so maybe I can enjoy some,But I know what my dad likes is the traditional German stuff and thats what im going for more or less.

Yeah the 380 has (as the description puts it) the apricot ester going on. I really dig it, the banana and clove are subdued but there (fermented @ 65°F). The 300 gives you more banana and some clove (roughly same ferment temp). I'll second what Yuri said, everyone who tried the beer I made with the 380 loved it (including me). It is one of my favorite strains for sure.

For that one I'd probably go with the 300 but that's just me. :D

Back