Blueberry Extract-”May Contain HFCS”...what changes need to be made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonardZelig

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance here on using fruit extract for flavoring. We made a nice strawberry ale a while back by adding extract at bottling, and wanted to make a similar blueberry beer. The blueberry extract label says "May contain high fructose corn syrup. Allow several days to re-ferment after addition." The strawberry extract was all natural, so we did not have this issue.

We are not sure the best way to proceed. Add the extract to primary and wait until gravity settles? Add extract at bottling and reduce amount of priming sugar? Scrap the extract and put real blueberries in a secondary? Other?

Does anybody have any suggestions on this?

I have zero experience with this , so I won't be any help, but I do recall reading that blueberries themselves ferment away to essentially nothing, leaving you with a dry beer with next to no blueberry flavor. I doubt that you want to go that route.

I would think that this would be the case with any sort of fruit extract. You're adding additional fermentables (more present in some fruits than others based on different sugar contents) so it's best to give the yeasties a chance to turn those into EtOH before bottling.

I've never brewed with fruit before so take this with a grain of salt, but I've always heard to add the fruit or fruit extract to a secondary, rack the beer onto the secondary, wait 1-2 weeks, and then bottle or keg. The secondary will give the yeast time to eat up the sugars from the fruit. No idea on differences between real fruit and extract. I can't imagine HFCS hurting anything - just more food for the yeast.

the last fruit beer that Leonard and i made was a strawberry pale ale and our ladies drank it up in about a week. to be honest, it was great. not too overpowering. just a small hint behind the EKG.

blueberry says to add 2-4 oz/5 gal
strawberry says to add 4-5 oz/ 5 gal

i have looked and can not find a listing of ingredients for any of the extracts. i would just like to know how much sugar it has so i can adjust carbing levels at bottling.

Latest posts

Back