Swamp Cooler Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
Hey all

So to deal with higher temps i set up my first swamp cooler when i brewed monday afternoon. Used WLP400 (Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 67-74°F.) By tuesday morning fermentation was going good and i had my water in my cooler around 62 because i thought temps inside were to be a couple degress higher then the water temps but out of curiosity i checked my inside temp tonight and it was around 62, the same as the ouside water. Should i keep my temps of the outside water the same and expect the inside temps to rise or should i stop switching out frozen water bottles and let the whole system rise to around 70?

If during the height of fermentation you noticed the temps the same, I'd imagine that it would stay that way the whole time. I'd make the exterior temp the same as I want the interior temp to be; it probably will be, +/- a degree.

I second chowsers comments. Shoot for a degree or two below your desired temperature. If there is enough thermal mass in the swamp cooler water you very well could be extremely close to the actual fermentation temperatures.

Hey all

So to deal with higher temps i set up my first swamp cooler when i brewed monday afternoon. Used WLP400 (Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 67-74°F.) By tuesday morning fermentation was going good and i had my water in my cooler around 62 because i thought temps inside were to be a couple degress higher then the water temps but out of curiosity i checked my inside temp tonight and it was around 62, the same as the ouside water. Should i keep my temps of the outside water the same and expect the inside temps to rise or should i stop switching out frozen water bottles and let the whole system rise to around 70?

It's unusual that the fermentation temp wouldn't be a little higher than the water in the cooler. Once the fermentation slows down, it usually equalizes.:mug:

Back