Currants and gooseberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctforte

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed with any of these ingredients? I no there fairly uncommon in the U.S. But are making a comeback.
Im just trying to kick some ideas around. Any feedback at all would be great.
Thanks

It is important to differentiate between zante currants, which are made from grapes, and black currants, which are a totally different thing. I bring this up because I was confused about this for quite a while, and others might be too.

It's black currants that I think you are referring to. I haven't used them and yes, they are VERY difficult to find in the U.S.. Here is the only place that I know to get them: www.currantc.com

Zante currants from grapes. thanks good to know. I also saw some red and white currants out there as well.
I actully found a farm like 20 miles from my area that has gooseberries and currants as well as blueberries and black berries. Thinking about a mix berry kind of brew. Any ideas?

I did a black currant beer recently:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/experimental-black-currant-ale-291463/
I have to say, I added WAAAY to much black currant product, it is a fairly assertive flavor. If you end up finding something similar to the black currant juice, I would keep the addition to maybe a quart tops. After initially tasting completely horrible, it has mellowed into a great beer. Just a bit too much fruit. Its almost like a lambic. Currants are tart/acidic so keep that in mind as well.

Haha I actually just read that thread before checking on this one. OK thanks for the heads up. I now have a place to start.

One idea I did have was brewing a five gallon batch and racking into five separate one gallon fermentors with different proportions of fruit in the each of them. I'd guess i would pick my favorite and just tweak it from there.
What do you guys think? Thanks for the feedback.

Back