Immersion chiller came apart/Un-sanitized water in wort post boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balazs

Reaction score
Straight to the point...my immersion chiller hose came off the copper chiller today while chilling and before I could fix it about 1/2 gallon of un-sanitized tap water went into my brew kettle post boil while the wort was about 160 degrees. I've never had an infected batch before and am wondering if this is going to be the first. I would have boiled again for a bit but my propane ran out with 5 minutes left in the boil so that wasn't an option. Has anyone had a similar issue like this? If so how did the beer come out? The yeast were prime and ready to go...I began to see activity about an hour after pitching. Any thoughts?

Thanks!:mug:

When I brewed extract / partial mash I used to top off with water straight from my tap. Probably 3 of 5 gals were straight tap water. I never had a skunky / sour batch.

I also used to start a syphon with my mouth and once I dropped my thermometer into the batch after cooling and stuck my hand in to grab it. That batch was good.

There really isn't anything alive in most city water anyway...

In short, relax 99% chance its ok.

jonnyjumpup said:
when i brewed extract / partial mash i used to top off with water straight from my tap. Probably 3 of 5 gals were straight tap water. I never had a skunky / sour batch.

+1

It just means you'll have to drink another half gallon of finished beer.

You're probably fine ... Is your tap water chlorinated?

Yeah, it is chlorinated. I run through a carbon filter to get the chlorine out. Based on the responses I got I guess I should not have any significant off flavors.

It just means you'll have to drink another half gallon of finished beer.

Yeah you are right about that...Although it diluted my OG and will not end up exactly how I planned, it is still yummy beer.:D

Back